"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Freezing salsa?

Has anyone ever tried freezing salsa? We always have a big garden and this year, I have 26 THRIVING tomato plants! Canning takes SO long though, and it seems last year, I recall quite a bit of produce going to waste before I could get it all done.

I did a search the other day, and came up with quite a bit of information and recipes. I was sure the texture may be a little different, and most information did mention that. I figured I would let it "brew" for a few days before freezing it also.

Any suggestions, hints, tell me I am crazy and wasting my time...? haha!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Head Chef

Freezing seems to work quite well for most salsas and is preferred over canning of homemade recipes that could cause a possible safety issue.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/news...ep03/salsa.htm
"You could also can crushed tomatoes and create salsa with seasonal vegetables throughout the year."

Old 06-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #3

great article, another tip on the balance scale towards freezing! Thank you for your help, mcnerd!!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Head Chef

Another idea, if you are overwhelmed with tomatoes, is to core the tomatoes and freeze them whole. When you get ready to use them, thaw slightly and the skins will just slip right off. Chop or crush the tomatoes and add the rest of your salsa ingredients.

Peppers can also be frozen whole--just throw them in the bags.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

And if you want one more idea for using them up, you can oven dry them.

Sice in half and scoop out the seeds. Put on a baking pan and sprinkle with salt and drizzle with a touch of olive oil. You can put other spices on if you want as well. Put in the oven at the lowest temperature. They will dry for hours. The drier they get the longer they will last. I usually keep them in for 8-10 hours, but depending on how you like them you can take them out at any point or leave them in for almost as long as you want. When they are very dry they will keep quite well in an airtight container. I snack on them like they are potato chips.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I don't know if there is anything "scientific" behind this, but when I've tried this I found that salsas with a finer texture - more pureed/less chunky - have less of a texture change after freezing than chunkier salsas. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
Head Chef

That's what I was thinking, lynsey. I would think that with chunky-type salsas the texture would change with freezing. I like more of a pico de gallo (sp?) myself. I also like to freeze tomatoes, very easy. I skin them before cutting them, then popping in a freezer bag, less prep later. When they are still slightly frozen, in the bag, I squish them around for a nice crushed tomato.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynseysnatural View Post
I don't know if there is anything "scientific" behind this, but when I've tried this I found that salsas with a finer texture - more pureed/less chunky - have less of a texture change after freezing than chunkier salsas. Good luck!
The scientific reason has to do with why things change texture when frozen. The reason is that freezing damages the cell walls which least to things getting that mushy texture. When you have a salsa with a finer texture you have already damaged the cell walls so freezing does not do much more damage.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
And if you want one more idea for using them up, you can oven dry them.
I LOVE dried tomatoes, esp with some italian seasoning. It will be interesting this year also, we have several different colors of tomatoes, yellow, purple, orange, and green!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynseysnatural View Post
thank you! I was thinking too that I would maybe make it less chunky. Or maybe I will experiment around with several different batches to see which turns out best.

I also like the idea of freezing them to use them later. I would love to be able to preserve all of the tomatoes we are blessed with, rather than give them away or let them go to waste due to lack of time!

Tags
freezing salsa