Freezing sweet corn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This may be why I don't like corn anymore. Initial hubby and I ended up with two gardens to maintain between a move - both growing corn.

Being novice gardeners and even worse cooks we thought we were doing great by cutting all the corn off the cobs and freezing it immediately in big gallon ziploc bags (there were only 2 of us - what were we thinking?). No blanching, no water, no salt.

We ended up with beaucoup freezer bags of inedible corn.

My mom used to just peel, bag and freeze. In those days it was such a treat to have "corn on the cob" in the winter, we never noticed any problem with flavor.

I have had any luck freezing corn on the cob, but I freeze alot that I cut and scrape and then like Katie just put in the bag and freeze. My mother always cooked hers after it was scraped for a short while before freezing, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in taste. We have Silver Queen which is pretty sweet so I have never added water. It is a mess though and tons of work to shuck, silk, cut and scrape all that corn, but it is so good in the winter when there aren't any fresh veggies.

freezing corn without blanching

I know this can be done, I have come across this in old cookbooks. I am doing a presentation on freezing sweet corn right now and I have been sorting through my cookbooks for research. I will send info if I find any information.

....Then we would go over and grab a ripe tomato off the plant, shake some salt on it, and eat it like an apple! ;)

Hmm, now there is a great memory!:)

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh yea, freezing corn. I actually have never done this. Growing up we always had a veggie garden including several rows of sweet corn, but I can't remember mom and dad freezing any of it.
I think we ate it too fast, LOL.
But then again, my memory is not what it used to be, so maybe I am just forgetting something. I know they did tons of canning, and I especially loved the bread and butter pickles, dill pickles, and sweet pickles.
I don't have the room or a good enough spot in the yard to grow any sweet corn these days, so I just buy it from the farmers market in the amounts we need at the moment so it only gets stored for a couple days at most.
But, is this the way they do the packets of frozen corn on the cob at the grocery store?

Angelamarie: You can freeze corn on the cob without blanching.

Wrap each shucked ear in foil and put in large freezer bag with others. It taste's much better than the blanched version, as long as you eat it quickly. After three months, it starts to dry out and loses it's fresh flavor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom