Fresh Roasted Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
We love to roast our own peppers at home, especially with our backyard summer harvest. But I would like to roast a few at a time and store some for later use. What is the best way to store roasted peppers after cooking?

I think the safest way would be to do it like this. Come on over and we'll have a day of roasting/canning red peppers and "bubbly" :chef:

We just put ours in a mason jar and cover with evoo. That's a great link though - it seems a better process and it won't take up frig space!

Thanks for the link. I've always shied away from canning, as it seems to be such a process. The explanation there sounds easy, though. I will definitely try that this summer.

For now though, we also do the cover with EVOO bit, but oil is so expensive, I hoped someone might have a less-expensive alternative?

I agree about the cost. We tend to reuse the oil though ... when we are getting to the end of the peppers we have, we roast more an throw them in the same jar and add just a little oil to cover as necessary. So initally, it costs more but after that, not much.

What would the fridge lifespan be on something like this, what with the possibility of botulism, etc.? I've always been afraid to keep anything in oil in the fridge longer than just a few days.

What would the fridge lifespan be on something like this, what with the possibility of botulism, etc.? I've always been afraid to keep anything in oil in the fridge longer than just a few days.

These are cooked at a pretty high temp, which should kill any bugs; botulism is a problem with uncooked items, like when people try to make homemade infused oils with herbs straight from the garden. I would think they would be fine, but they can also be frozen: help...can you freeze roasted red peppers? - Community - CookingLight.com

You can also freeze them. If you package them in zip-top bags make sure you use the freezer bags ... just squeeze out all the air you can and zip them shut. They will last 3-6 months this way. If you use a vacuum sealer - they will last a year or more.

Interesting that they can be frozen. I would think that they would fall to bits when defrosted so I wouldn't have even tried that. That might be the way to go.

As far as the botulism issue, we made a slew of homemade oils from garden herbs at the end of the season. I noticed that if any of the herbs/peppers were peeking out from the top of the oil, it got moldy quickly. I assumed though that if the organics were fully submerged in the oil, we were safe. I've been using the oil all winter. Are we in danger?

As far as the botulism issue, we made a slew of homemade oils from garden herbs at the end of the season. I noticed that if any of the herbs/peppers were peeking out from the top of the oil, it got moldy quickly. I assumed though that if the organics were fully submerged in the oil, we were safe. I've been using the oil all winter. Are we in danger?

Yes, you are. Botulism spores thrive in an anaerobic (airless) environment - oil is perfect for that. We had a long thread with links on this about a year ago: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/risks-homemade-infused-oil-32153.html

This is from a university newsletter: The Green Line

Another university fact sheet: Botulism: What you don't see can hurt you, HYG-5567-98

HTH.

Last edited:
Hello Gillburg:)

I usually store mine in olive oil and leave them in the fridge.
I think the botullism only applies to uncooked things. If u roast the peppers it would kill the bacteria, wouldnt it. :)

Mel

I could be wrong, but I don't think ordinary cooking kills all types of botulism.

And yes JillBurgh, you are DEFINITELY in danger of botulism poisoning using those oils. Homemade herb oils have been seriously out of fashion & into the danger zone for many years now. Unless you plan to use them up within a few days, don't bother. In fact, I just for the heck of it quickly looked up botulism online, & the few sites I visited all said that "garlic, herbs, & chili peppers in oil are one of the most common methods of contracting botulism poisoning, along with improper home canning".

I think I'll just continue the way I've been. If I can't use the roasted peppers in a few days - out they go.

Last edited:
Yikes! Thanks for all of the info. I have forwarded all of those links to the man of the house. He is hard to convince of things like that... Like if it smells okay, it IS okay in his opinion. Good thing he won't have a say in me throwing it all away when I get home!

Ugh, another bacteria hi-jack. :glare:

I used to roast my own bell peppers. Either in the oven, on a burner or on the grill. Unless the recipe does not call for olive oil, I use the jarred roasted peppers. It takes 20-25 minutes off the prep time using those. I always keep a large jar in the pantry for sauces or sandwiches or whatever.

However, a grill full of green, red, yellow and orange bell peppers is heaven.:chef:

Infused oils were never something we considered making and using. I have thought of canning as we used to do it when I was a kid and we do often have a surplus of tomatoes each year, but in the end figured I was safer just sharing the harvest with neighbors. My luck I would get something wrong and we would all end up sick :(
But now I am re-considering as this year, if all goes well, I will have a surplus of not only tomatoes but horseradish and peppers.

I tried to make an infused oil about 14 years ago when we first bought our house and started an herb garden. I put a few sprigs of rosemary in a bottle of olive oil and put it in a sunny window, thinking the heat would help the flavor infuse into the oil. :ermm:

After a couple of days, I noticed some tiny threads apparently growing off the rosemary leaves. I pointed this out to DH, who was a science teacher at the time, and he advised throwing it away. Sure am glad I did - botulism poisoning in the making there.

I tried to make an infused oil about 14 years ago when we first bought our house and started an herb garden. I put a few sprigs of rosemary in a bottle of olive oil and put it in a sunny window, thinking the heat would help the flavor infuse into the oil. :ermm:

That's exactly what we did with our oils, the sunny windowsill thing.

When I got home from work yesterday DH had already tossed all of the bottles of infused oil ahead of me, knowing I'd be in a frenzy. I told him how I told everyone here that he wouldn't care one way or the other if it was poisoned and he laughed and replied, "I was thinking, this stuff smells pretty good while I poured it down the drain."

Groan...:sick:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom