Fruit floating up in jars, not evenly distributed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmalin

Assistant Cook
I recently ran a 7.5 pound recipe of strawberries to make some jam. I did not add pectin, but I did put 7.5 pounds of sugar in it too, so I cooked it until the temperature reached 219 degrees, experimented with the cold saucer test to see if it thickened enough. When all was done I set the jars to cool and noticed the fruit separated and about the top half of the jars had the appearance of fruit in it but the lower half of the jars seemed to be mostly liquid. What's the info on getting this to be evenly distributed?

Also, I am not totally satisfied (it thickened but not a jell) with the jelling result by depending on sugar to crystalize so is this just typical and I need to just use some pectin or what?

Yes strawberries need pectin. They are low in natural pectin. That said, I use pectin and I get the same result, more of the fruits on the top than the bottom. I don't have a satisfactory answer for you.

I let my jam cool quite a bit before ladling into the jar. Stir it a few times and you'll be able to tell when the fruit stays suspended.

If you waterbath your jam for 10 minutes (or 5 at sea level), it'll get plenty hot enough to get a good seal.

I've had that happen and I DID use pectin. Once stirred it stays combined but unacceptable for gift giving IMHO. I found that once my jars come out of the canner, after sitting for 5 minutes, I turn the jars upside down and wait another 5 minutes and then turn them right side up. Works for me every time.

I know this is late posting but for future reference...?

When making marmalade one must stir for several minutes while cooling in order to keep the fruit evenly distributed.

It has been a long time since I made marmalade so I don't remember just how long. 5 minutes rings a bell, was it every 5 minutes? or for a total of 5 minutes? I just remember it seemed very long! LOL

Hope this helps for next year!

Back
Top Bottom