"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

sorry just found this too:

Main Course - Other meat courses
Baranina: roasted or even grilled lamb great, especially in the mountains.
Klopsiki: meatloaf, often with tomato sauce.
Bigos: appetizing, seasoned "hunter" stew made from sauerkraut with chunks of various meats and sausages, extremely traditional.
Dziczyzna: game.
Fasolka po bretońsku: cheap bean and sausage stew.
Gołąbki: cabbage parcels originally from Lithuania, they are stuffed with meat or meat and rice.
Kaszanka: grilled or baked solid pieces of buckwheat blended with pork blood and shaped as sausages.
Szaszłyk: originally Caucasian dish; chunks of meat grilled on a spit.

taken from this link: Polish Cuisine

motiv8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8or View Post
this is indeed true! i visited london quite some time ago now, and we ate at a polish restaurant called posk. no idea if it's still there, but it was very very traditional and they served all the usual polish offerings: gołąbki, pierogi (not pierogies!), borscht etc.

princess fiona - do you do much polish cooking aside from gołąbki?
I don't cook polish food, but I do eat my fair share.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I never said there weren't Polish restaurants in London...I said Polish Cook will not be wandering into one in the near future.
not sure how you figure that? why wouldn't they be wandering into one any time soon? maybe they're sitting in one now and posting from an ipad? lol
Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
sorry just found this too:

Main Course - Other meat courses
Baranina: roasted or even grilled lamb – great, especially in the mountains.
Klopsiki: meatloaf, often with tomato sauce.
Bigos: appetizing, seasoned "hunter" stew made from sauerkraut with chunks of various meats and sausages, extremely traditional.
Dziczyzna: game.
Fasolka po bretońsku: cheap bean and sausage stew.
Gołąbki: cabbage parcels originally from Lithuania, they are stuffed with meat or meat and rice.
Kaszanka: grilled or baked solid pieces of buckwheat blended with pork blood and shaped as sausages.
Szaszłyk: originally Caucasian dish; chunks of meat grilled on a spit.

taken from this link: Polish Cuisine
The point is...others spell it differently, your way is NOT the only way. This is a cooking forum, not a Polish grammar forum. The poster of the original recipe used a valid title for their recipe.

Enough with the grammar, did you come here to discuss cooking or point out others differences?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

i agree, this is getting into a debate about semantics, which is of course, totally off topic.

i was just pointing out that it's not the correct spelling in the traditional sense. i have no issue with people using it to describe what they're cooking, but just bear in mind it's not 100% correct.

if i was using a chinese term and it was pointed out i was wrong, i would take note. i don't see how this is any different? i'm not having a go at anyone, i'm just saying that galumpkis is incorrect.

do you want to go around sounding silly? i would've thought my advice would be welcomed, not criticised.

i realise in america that many traditional words (across all languages) are americanised, and that they are then adopted in the states as "the correct way". again, i have no issue with this, but bear in mind that others prefer to remain a little more open minded about these things, and are a little more open to being corrected when they're wrong. there's no need to see it as a personal attack.

sorry to hijack the thread :)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

anyway back on topic. i prefer my gołąbki with mushroom sauce. what does everyone else prefer - mushroom sauce or tomato sauce? also, do you make your own or buy pre-made?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

I make a lot of them, and love them with tomato sauce.. a splodge of ketchup is nice, but lately have been making my own tomato sauce which has a richer flavour, but then have also tried it with traditional mushroom sauce, but at this point not sure which I prefer the most!

how about others?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

i love to make my own mushroom sauce. it's seriously the best thing i've had with gołąbki!!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #39
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
anyway back on topic. i prefer my gołąbki with mushroom sauce. what does everyone else prefer -?
My Grandmother's home-made stewed tomatoes. Absent of that I'll use good canned ones and break/blend them to break up the whole ones.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #40
Assistant Cook

that sounds heavenly dave! its amazing what everyone does and glad you gave us this idea!

Tags
cabbage