Glass vs plastic for sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
I have noticed that when I make sauerkraut in my gal glass container it always turns dark. The cabbage is being held down by a plate on top. The brine covers it by at least 2" & is covered in a dark place. I've had to throw away 2 batches so far. No mold or scum on it just cabbage turns dark. When I use a plastic bucket I do exactly the same thing & each batch has been good so far. This is very confusing to me because I've always thought glass containers would be better.

Anyone have any ideas why SK turning dark in glass. I know you're thinking just don't make it in glass containers & I won't anymore but I'm curious. Thanks.

You must be doing something different when using the glass container. There should be no difference.

Darkness in sauerkraut may be caused by:
  • Unwashed and improperly trimmed cabbage
  • Insufficient juice to cover fermenting cabbage
  • Uneven distribution of salt
  • Exposure to air
  • High temperatures during fermentation, processing, or storage
  • Long storage period

How Dark? Did you taste it before tossing it?

It may not be as Bright White as commercially canned Kraut, but it should still be fine...

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I poured the brine off the top of the kraut & the cabbage was still light in color. It has a good taste. Now I'm more puzzled than ever. The only reason I can think of that might have made the brine turn dark was that a day or 2 after I had weighted the cabbage down, I checked it & thought it needed more brine. It may have been that the salt water I added was not strong enough. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom