Good Eats Pickle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I was watching Good Eats the other day and Alton did a recipe for Bread and Butter Pickles. In the episode he and his "brother" made pickles side by side. Alton made sweet pickles and his "brother" made sours. I am going to attempt the sours, but the one piece he left out was how long they need to sit in the fridge before they actually become pickles. Has anyone seen this episode? Do you know how long I need to wait?

Saw the episode, don't remember if the time was even mentioned. Let your taste buds be your guide.

At the beginning of the episode he was talking about this style of pickles in generic terms and said they could be ready in ours or days as opposed to other pickles that take months. I guess I will just give it a shot and taste every once in a while.

I've fixed refrigerator pickles quite a few times, and they don't take long. A week should do it.
I gave my son-in-law my recipe last year, and he was eating his pickles within a few days.

Actually I am going to use a squash and a zucchini. I just pulled one of each in (my first harvest).

I do refrigerator pickles and after 3 days they are good to go. Depends on how crunchy you like them though. We're lucky if we can get Bugs to wait for 3 days let alone a week!

So that's what happned to my squash this year. The bees must just like the spaghetti kind. I made some really good squash pickles last year, but they were the water bath kind that take awhile. I'll share the recipe if you want it.

If you know how to tell the male flower from the female one, you can pollinate the blossoms yourself. I've never done it, but I'm sure you can find instructions on line.

Constance said:
If you know how to tell the male flower from the female one, you can pollinate the blossoms yourself. I've never done it, but I'm sure you can find instructions on line.

That's what my previous post is about. Cool pictures.

Great link Jenny! Thanks! So far, I have not had any trouble, but those instructions and pictures will come in very helpful if I ever do have issues.

Here is the recipe, by the way. Mine did not have any onions in it though. I copied the recipe down off of TV and I don't think he mentioned onions (or maybe I just missed that part).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom