Good How-To Videos For Pressure Canning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnCook

Assistant Cook
This is going to be my first canning season and my husband surprised me a while ago with a nice big pressure canner.

The only catch is that the only two people I know to have used pressure canners have filled my head with notions of exploding pots, fires and the great great great great auntie who could never walk quite right after a rogue batch of beets nearly took her life.

I've looked on youtube and blogs and have learnt quite a lot, but I'm still a bit nervous. I've got the Ball Book and their huge companion cookbook but I'd like a visual just to settle my nerves that I won't cause the next Chicago Fire for want of my love of pickled okra.

Could anyone recommend a definitive source for videos specifically for pressure canners?

I'm going to check those links out too! I've done water bath canning but I'm nervous about the pressure canner.

First off, you don't need a pressure canner for pickled okra--waterbath will do quite well for all pickled veggies. :yum:

Your local extension office has all the info you need for canning--I work for Extension in Missouri, and we do a canning class every year or two, so you might be able to find one in your area.

Lots of experienced canners here, so feel free to ask questions.

Put the exploding pressure cooker image right out of your head. New ones have multiple safety features built right in.

Follow your directions step by step--the Ball books are great--and you will be the proud creator of jar after jar of jewel toned veggies! You won't want to put them away in the cabinet--you will leave them on the counter as art!!

Back
Top Bottom