Green beans, what to do this summer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both have their merits. I love canned pickled dilly green beans. Frozen beans taste just fine, be sure to blanch them first.

Agreed. I have a wonderful recipe for Szechuan pickled green beans that we like a lot. Also be sure to dry off blanched green beans before freezing.

I am looking also at freezing them with out blanching, I have found various youtube video on none blanching and freezing, i am reading that blanching and freezing produces a soft bean.

My frozen blanched beans don't get soft. It just takes a couple minutes, don't overdo it. Blanching stops enzymes from doing strange things, and helps them keep their color.

I Food Saver mine, and they last forever in the freezer. Nice, green, and crisp.

Last edited:
This is the best site for information on home food preservation. It's based on extensive research and testing: National Center for Home Food Preservation

Here is their page on blanching vegetables for freezing: National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Freeze

Blanching does soften the beans a little bit, but not much, and no one eats raw green beans anyway. And there are a lot of benefits to blanching, as the page explains.

Personally, I don't rely on random Internet pages or YouTube videos for information. There are zillions of people posting things who don't really have any knowledge of what they're talking about. Anyone can start a blog or a YouTube channel and there is no fact-checking and no editors.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, guess i'll blanch and freeze and vacuum seal, I was going to can, but I want to go fast and easier, plus I don't have a pressure canner.

You can use a water or steam bath for pickled green beans. They are awesome and terribly addictive. I'll have to look for GG's pickled Szechuan bean recipe, you did post it, right, GG?

Gracias! :yum:

Now if I can keep the bunnies from eating all my bean seedlings...

Last edited:
I canned 31 quarts Of blue lake green beans
from DH fall garden. Never thought about
freezing them. I love seeing them in jars in the
pantry. It's not hard either way.

Josie

If you've sat with your bowls and bags of beans, on a hot day, topping and tailing them, for canning into quarts, enough times, you find that it takes about 119 beans per jar. :LOL: It's more fun to do with someone than doing it alone. We are planning a big bean year this year.

I personally prefer to freeze them. I use a salad spinner and clean towel to dry them before bagging them.But love lemon-rosemary pickled beans. A nice addition to a bean salad...

Back
Top Bottom