"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 07-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
Master Chef
I made fried green tomatoes over the weekend, topped with homemade salsa and pickled green tomato relish I had made a week or so ago.

They were excellent, until we ate the green habarneros that I had meant to remove from the relish but forgot.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Birdmom
Hi Bob! Your method is a little different. I usually just dredge the tomatoes in flour mixed with a little cornmeal, but I also use bacon grease. I wouldn't cook them in anything else!
Me too!! --- I will deviate and use P-Nut oil on occasion! Also like a hint of black pepper with the salt.

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Head Chef
Fried green tomatos are great with a sauteed soft shell crab on top of them
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Head Chef
When tomatoes are coming out of my ears-I can sliced (very thick) slices of green tomatoes. I use the tomatoes that are perfect fitting in a pint canning jar-wide mouth, with vinegar and salt and water, then water bath. They are not as good as fresh (a little soggier) but they are a welcomed treat in the winter.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by nanat View Post
Thanks for the recipe Kookie! I put up 7 pt this weekend. They really look pretty! I hope they are as good as they look. LOL I also did a rolling boil for the 10 minutes. I did have 1 that I had to boil again. Oh, and I used red pepper flakes in stead of a whole pepper. The only ones I could find at the store were the great big dried ones. Thanks again.
The hardest part is waiting the 2 weeks to try them!

Well worth the wait though...

Kookie is offline   Reply With Quote