Greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josie1945

Head Chef
I just finished putting collard greens in the freezer. They were beautilull
almost hated to pick them. Got 11 quarts. We gave a friend enough for about 9 quarts. Still have mustard and turnips to do. I love greens and they are so good for you. :cool:

Josie

Josie, I absolutely love collards but don't eat them nearly enough... I love them with a smoked ham hock in the broth... What's your favorite way to do them??? :):):)

Mimiz We love them with ham or bacon. I also remove the greens from the broth and make corn meal dumplings in the broth. Love it but don't make it very often because DH is diabetic And he can't just eat one serving :pig:

Josie

Oh YUMMMY Josie, I love sopping up the pot liqueur with corn muffins but have never made cornmeal dumplings... Do tell... ;););)

Mimiz, one cup stone ground corn meal, 2 green onions and enough boiling broth to make a really stiff dough. Shape dumplings by hand and Drop them in the boiling broth lower to a simmer and cook untill done. After you eat the dumplings you have a awesome pot of soup left. :)

Josie

We have been having one meal each week with collards. We are only cutting the lower parts. leaving three layers of leaves and the plant continues to produce.

Craig

Thanks Josie I will be making those little bundles of happiness next time I make my collards... :D:D:D

We have been having one meal each week with collards. We are only cutting the lower parts. leaving three layers of leaves and the plant continues to produce.

Craig

We have been harvesting just the leaves for about 6 weeks. We harvest the whole plant last night. DH is ready to prepare for the summer garden.
We still have Turnips with huge roots, and mustard greens to go. :cool:

Josie

Miss Mimiz ~~ Miss Josie

Have you ever had a pot of greens on the stove (not boiling hot) and reached in with your fingers, got a big pinch to eat with your hands????? ~~ How about cold in the refrigerator...same thing?????

Miss Mimiz ~~ Miss Josie

Have you ever had a pot of greens on the stove (not boiling hot) and reached in with your fingers, got a big pinch to eat with your hands????? ~~ How about cold in the refrigerator...same thing?????

Shhhhhhhhhhh Uncle Bob, don't tell anyone that cold collards are in my left hand, and a cold piece of fried chicken is in my right hand (at midnight!!!) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I love to take a 1/2" slice of warmed polenta "cake", center a dollop of roasted red pepper "pesto" on that, a sauteed scallop on top of that, and then topped with cooked collard greens (just bunched up on top of the scallop).

Plating: place that in the center of the plate. Then I squirt a design of the sauce around on the plate and place about 3 more scallops around on that.

Roasted Red Pepper "Pesto"
(i don't measure but I can guess if requested)

Coarsely blenderize:
roasted red peppers (from a jar works)
pine nuts
olive oil
fresh garlic cloves

Miss Mimiz ~~ Miss Josie

;) Just wanted to make sure I'm dealing with "real" greens eaters....

Pot liqueur????? You meant pot-likker I'm sure!:LOL:

Heavy Sigh. I love greens, but my DW isn't fond of them at all. She'll eat spinach, from a can, and that's about it. I love greens in my salads, boiled, fried, baked, put in lasagna, etc. I've even been known to pick sour-grass from my lawn and put it into a salad, with maybe a rose blossom and some leaves from a potted plant in my house that I can't think of the name of , right now. It has a slightly peppery flavor and grows well in poor, well drained soil. The flowers are usually orange in color and the flavor has mild peppery accents. Wait! I remember now, Nasturtiums. I love the stuff. And don't forget about fried pumpkin and squash blossoms, and the leaves and stems from cauliflower and broccoli. Also, everyone throws away the stem from the artichoke. After you've properly steamed the whole artichoke, and scraped the "meat from the leaves with your teeth, and removed the choke to get to the heart, well the stem through to the heart is all one part and tastes the same. It's the best part of the plant!

Yep, I enjoy many different kinds of greens. But then again, is there a food that I don't like?:ROFLMAO: Oh, wait. You can keep your okra. But I'll take all ther sweet spuds you care to send northward.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Will you share with us how you make the creamed Collards? :)

Josie

This is the recipe we use. It's one of Emerils. Just sub the greens for the spinach and remember to boil them longer. I can't wait till the beets are ready. Their green are excellent just sauteed!

Creamed Spinach - Emeril
Ingredients
2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and tough stems removed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
Directions
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Drain in a fine mesh strainer, pressing with a large spoon to release as much water as possible. Finely chop and set aside.

Melt the butter in medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, just until the liquid is released. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and cook until the cream is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

Very important to get as much liquid out as possible.

Craig

Miss Mimiz ~~ Miss Josie

;) Just wanted to make sure I'm dealing with "real" greens eaters....

Pot liqueur????? You meant pot-likker I'm sure!:LOL:

I stand corrected Uncle Bob, the pot-likker licks the pot liqueur... Say that three times fast!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was an unfortunate child, I only had canned spinach, while I was growing up. As an adult I discovered raw spinach! I'm hoping to branch out into other fresh greens.

Back
Top Bottom