Has anybody tried blueberry fruit butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're very welcome! :)

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart.

Wolfgang Puck

Judging by the love that Norh Americans have for blueberries I can only assume that the ones we get over here are very very inferior to yours. I don't think they're grown commercially here and they have a lot of air miles behind them - Spain, Peru, South Africa, to name but a few. They are absolutely tasteless and if I'm being asked £2 (approx $3) a half pint punnet :shock: I expect something mildly spectacular.

It just goes to show, if you call something a "super food" you can con the British shopper into buying anything.

PAG, come on up in the next two weeks. I've been told about a secret area where there are fields of blueberries that no one picks. I'm gonna go and check them out next weekend, if possible.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Can't unfortunately. Too much going on at work next month to take any time off.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I hear the English aren't as crazy for summer corn on the cob as North Americans too. But I'd love to see England before I die and try some traditional English dishes. I'm sure you all have some lovely delicacies that just aren't the same in The States.

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart.

Wolfgang Puck

Hehe. I hear if you really want yummy blueberries, go to Amish country. We're within a few hours of it.

Wolfgang Puck

Judging by the love that Norh Americans have for blueberries I can only assume that the ones we get over here are very very inferior to yours. I don't think they're grown commercially here and they have a lot of air miles behind them - Spain, Peru, South Africa, to name but a few. They are absolutely tasteless and if I'm being asked £2 (approx $3) a half pint punnet :shock: I expect something mildly spectacular.

It just goes to show, if you call something a "super food" you can con the British shopper into buying anything.

MC, we can get tasteless blueberries here too. The best BBs are wild. My BB bushes, when I can actually get some before the critters do, have that wonderful wild flavor.

Oh! Now I'm jealous! Lol

Wolfgang Puck

I hear the English aren't as crazy for summer corn on the cob as North Americans too. But I'd love to see England before I die and try some traditional English dishes. I'm sure you all have some lovely delicacies that just aren't the same in The States.

Don't count on it. I've been there and it's not that great.

Kind of like what is going on here, well at least in Minnesota it could be differnt elsewhere, with currants. I love currants black, red and white. But in my 20 + years int he States I've seen in store 2 maybe 3 times. They were prohibitively expensive.

I have tame blueberries in my yard, and wild ones in the forests of the U.P. The taste is similar, a touch of tartness, with the unmistakable aroma and flavor of good blueberries. That is, there is sweet, sour, just a hint of peppery flavor. It's very complex and hard to describe. The wild ones will be ready to pick in about two weeks or so. Though my tame ones will have turned a beautiful blue color, they won't have developed any flavor but sour until the first week of September.

Typically, the blueberries picked for, and sold in supermarkets have either a very sour flavor, or bland flavor. Sour comes from being picked too early. Bland comes from over-watering, which engorges the berries with too much water, making the plump, but diluting the flavor. The berries available to you suffer from the same philosophical problem that store bought produce in general suffers from. The goal isn't to provide you with the best product. It's to provide you with product you will by, at the highest price possible, with minimal cost to produce.

Christian scripture is often quoted to say that money is the root of all evil. This is incorrect. It actually says, "The love of money is the root of all evil."

I think about that passage everytime I have to purchase a store-bought tomato, or quart of store-bought blueberries, or unripe peaches. Well, you get the idea. I also hate that I can rarely find a ripe banana at Wal Mart.

It's just sad that profit seems to be the most important driving force in the world societies.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

if you can let banana seat and will get ripen, not so with blueberries. Here in MN most fruits and veggies stink. It's like eating something rubberized .

Hey, hey, hey! Guess who found blueberries on sale for .99 a pint AGAIN? This lady! Off to make some more blueberry butter. There'll be more than enough for Christmas gifts as well as some for us. You can use it for toast, blueberry butter pie (yum,) muffins, pancakes, waffles, biscuits, graham crackers, ice cream topping, straight out of the jar with a spoon...

Wolfgang Puck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom