Has anybody tried blueberry fruit butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
So I found blueberries at Aldi for .99 a pint. So I bought 48 pints of blueberries and put them into my electric roaster to make blueberry butter. It's supposed to call for less additional sugar and we love the texture of fruit butters. This stuff turned out to be so good you could put it on leather and it'd still be delectable. It came out to about 30 cups of fruit butter. I even figured out how to make a blueberry butte pie. Ppl are already veggie for jars. If I want to give my canned butter for gifts for Christmas this year and still have some for us I'm going to have to find another sale and make more! ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1406501109.333281.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1406501195.796988.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

So I found blueberries at Aldi for .99 a pint. So I bought 48 pints of blueberries and put them into my electric roaster to make blueberry butter. It's supposed to call for less additional sugar and we love the texture of fruit butters. This stuff turned out to be so good you could put it on leather and it'd still be delectable. It came out to about 30 cups of fruit butter. I even figured out how to make a blueberry butte pie. Ppl are already veggie for jars. If I want to give my canned butter for gifts for Christmas this year and still have some for us I'm going to have to find another sale and make more!View attachment 21555View attachment 21556

OMG. You are my hero! And I am extremely jealous!

I think I may have "bumped" into something.

Sure will! Hang on, it's True Blood night and I have to see what happens next. But I'll post it after the show around 10-10:30 EST

We're going to have to ration this stuff out! Our friends, neighbors, and relatives are acting like little girls in a Barbie doll isle. Lol

If you're brave enough to take on all these blueberries...

:chef:
I promised the recipe. Here it is.

Blueberry Butter In The Electric Roaster

Ingredients:
48 pints blueberries
4 lemons
8-12 cups sugar or more to taste
2 quarts low sugar blueberry juice
3 tablespoons Saigon on Vietnamese cinnamon (trust me on this, the choice of cinnamon makes a huge difference and most grocery store carry it.)
2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg (again, this makes a big difference.)

Directions:
Wash the blueberries.
Go through the blueberries and pick out the stems or bad ones.
Peel your lemons with a potato peeler and and put in your food processor or blender.
Remove the pith (the white stuff) from the lemon's flesh and throw it way.
Put the flesh in the blender or food processor.
Put the blueberries in batches in the blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Pour into the electric roaster
Add juice, sugar and spices
Turn your roaster on to 300 uncovered and go to bed.
When you wake up, the fruit should be slightly thickened.
Cook until it's as thick and creamy as you like it or a drop of blueberry butter congeals on a frozen plate and holds it shape.
Blend the mixture with the immersion blender until it's very smooth.
Taste to see if more spice and sugar are needed.
Boiling water bath can in jelly jars for 10 minutes or freeze.
Makes around 30 cups of blueberry butter.

Notes:
*This is not to be a rushed project it will take somewhere between 24-48 hours. But very little of the time is spent preparing the blueberry butter it's mostly the time it's cooking in the electric roaster.
*You may want to start this project just before you go to bed.

Mmm, mmmm!

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart.

Wolfgang Puck

Sounds great! I must get more blueberries. I picked up some (3 pt) last week and dehydrated most of them to make blueberry vinegar...now I want to make blueberry butter!

PAG, come on up in the next two weeks. I've been told about a secret area where there are fields of blueberries that no one picks. I'm gonna go and check them out next weekend, if possible.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.
If PAG can't make it, I'd be tempted to be your surrogate daughter for the weekend in exchange for blueberries!:)

I have recipe at home, but basically I use Italian plums/sugar, get rid off pits and cook it for a long time, till plums are completely mushy so to speak.

It's a creamier consistency, requires no pectin, and uses less sugar.

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart.

Wolfgang Puck

Oh CharlieD that sounds yummy!

Wolfgang Puck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom