"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
@Dawgluver - oops! Didn't see your post. You think I have too MUCH headspace? Mom always told me 1 inch, and I never thought to ask questions. I can't ask her now, she doesn't remember much about cooking. My recipe is almost identical to CharlieD's. Clean and sterilize jars, wash and prepare cukes, garlic and dill. Fill jars. Boil 4c distilled water and 1/4 cup coarse salt, pour over cukes while boiling. Place rings and seal finger tight. Wait for pop and you're set.

@sparrowgrass, thanks! We go through these pickles like there is no tomorrow because we don't get them often. Thanks for the link.

Hmmm...now I want to try one with 1/2 inch headspace. I may have to go get some baby cukes on my shopping trip later.


No boiling water bath?
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
This recipe doesn't call for water bath processing. I've done it both ways. With and without. These days I'd say yes, water bath them. Follow the chart for whatever jar size you use.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Head Chef
 
JMediger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,178
I go 1/2" from the top of the jar (actually I eye-ball it to the bottom of the threads which is about 1/2"). I've looked at the glass jars and tops from Weck (WeckJars.com) for my tomatoes but think I'm too OCD to not have that "tink" sound from the lid popping to know they were actually sealed.

I wonder if your lid is just "stuck" from having sugar on your rim or something. I had a friend last year want to learn how to can so I had her help with tomatoes. I had several not seal the first time because of a seed or bit of tomato she had missed when wiping the rims. I hate wasting the lid but it is easy to wipe down and throw a new lid on to reseal.
__________________
JMediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I go 1/2" from the top of the jar (actually I eye-ball it to the bottom of the threads which is about 1/2"). I've looked at the glass jars and tops from Weck (WeckJars.com) for my tomatoes but think I'm too OCD to not have that "tink" sound from the lid popping to know they were actually sealed.

I wonder if your lid is just "stuck" from having sugar on your rim or something. I had a friend last year want to learn how to can so I had her help with tomatoes. I had several not seal the first time because of a seed or bit of tomato she had missed when wiping the rims. I hate wasting the lid but it is easy to wipe down and throw a new lid on to reseal.
I agree, both with the tink and with something under the rim. I've been thwarted by a dill seed under the rim.

I think if Alix processed the jars that didn't seal in a water bath or steam canner with new lids, they would probably seal.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
They probably would seal, but we are way past time for that now. Not to mention reprocessed pickles are just nasty. They are mush.

Its possible that there might be a sliver of dill under a lid, but definitely no seeds. I don't use dill seed, nor the tops of dill. I use strictly the leafy bits.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
They probably would seal, but we are way past time for that now. Not to mention reprocessed pickles are just nasty. They are mush.

Its possible that there might be a sliver of dill under a lid, but definitely no seeds. I don't use dill seed, nor the tops of dill. I use strictly the leafy bits.
Yup, too late now!

I was thinking, since they weren't processed in the first place, it may just work the next time, if you caught them soon enough.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
Assistant Cook
 
BlairsDen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Blairsville, GA
Posts: 20
Last Wednesday wifeypoo and I canned 14 pints of pickles that came from our garden.
A couple tips we learned throughout the years:
1) never buy the rings and top lids from Walmart or the dollar store. We did a couple years ago and had almost 25% of them not seal. So pay a couple cents more and go with the BALL lids.
2) after putting the Cucs and the Hot garlic brine into the jar, carefully wipe the top of the jar with Vinegar before placing the lid on.
3)this year we've had 100% success with the hot bath processing with Pickles and Beets.
4) next week we are canning about 20 Qts of Potatoes. They require the Pressure Cooker to do, as does our Chili, Beef Stew and Chicken Soup (really we call it a Stoup because its more like a stew and a soup combined).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1888177651.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	18413   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-353031952.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	18414  

__________________
BlairsDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
We don't have Ball lids here, we have Bernardin.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yup, too late now!

I was thinking, since they weren't processed in the first place, it may just work the next time, if you caught them soon enough.
They were processed.

I've done the reprocess bit ONCE before. Never, EVER again. Those were the most disgusting pickles ever. The jars sealed on the second round and the pickles LOOKED fine, but they were limp, soggy and you could bounce them they were so rubbery. UGH. Now if they don't seal on the first round we just toss them in the fridge and go that way.

I am thinking that my issues this time had to be due to headspace. I will be more vigilant with the next batch.

I will use the disposable lids after reading about all the issues with the glass lids. I have to admit, I've only had issues with the glass lids once and it was a bad batch of sealer rings. Still, better safe than sorry. I just hate to be wasteful and it feels wasteful to use disposable lids when I have a crapload of the glass lids.

Any idea why they still sell the rubber sealer rings if the glass lids are considered so unsafe? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

They were processed.

I've done the reprocess bit ONCE before. Never, EVER again. Those were the most disgusting pickles ever. The jars sealed on the second round and the pickles LOOKED fine, but they were limp, soggy and you could bounce them they were so rubbery. UGH. Now if they don't seal on the first round we just toss them in the fridge and go that way.

I am thinking that my issues this time had to be due to headspace. I will be more vigilant with the next batch.

I will use the disposable lids after reading about all the issues with the glass lids. I have to admit, I've only had issues with the glass lids once and it was a bad batch of sealer rings. Still, better safe than sorry. I just hate to be wasteful and it feels wasteful to use disposable lids when I have a crapload of the glass lids.

Any idea why they still sell the rubber sealer rings if the glass lids are considered so unsafe? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.
I think it's to store dry stuff. They look so much prettier than the disposables.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.