Help! I'm slow, so how do I do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnoliasouth

Assistant Cook
Hi all. This is my first go at canning and I have a quick question. I'm using this recipe and I have a dwarf peach tree, so my peaches are small but very juicy and delicious. The problem with them being small is that it takes a long time to get them all skinned and cut up. I have twice (may even three) times as many as average peaches to prepare. Not to mention, I'm slow anyway.

What can I use to keep them from turning brown while I'm preparing them? I know there's this acid base balance thing going on, so I don't imagine using extra lemon juice is a good idea.

Please help!

Many thanks to any and all advice. Oh and if you have a better recipe with good instructions, I'm all ears too.

I would put the cut up peaches in the pot and stir in the lemon juice and, if you are using it, the fruit protector, as you get each peach ready. I would leave the skins on each peach until you are ready to cut it up.

I use ascorbic acid or crushed up vitamin c tablets dissolved in water. It seems to affect the taste the least. That's the main ingredient in Fruit Fresh and way cheaper.

No need to add anything extra. There is already lemon juice in the recipe.
I saw that, but that's such a small amount for the large amount of chopped peaches. I just don't see how you can coat that many. You think it's okay then?

Thanks to everyone!

I saw that, but that's such a small amount for the large amount of chopped peaches. I just don't see how you can coat that many. You think it's okay then?

Thanks to everyone!
Hmm, well, the only way to know for sure is to try it. If you have some of citric acid ready to add, you can watch for browning and add it if the peaches do start to brown.

I wondered about the lemon juice being enough too. But at worst your jam would be a more golden color. I tend to leave my blanched peaches too long before they're peeled and they get dark on the outside before they hit the acidic bath...makes the jam a little darker. Most of the time it's still pretty, lol

If you do try the acid you'll need ascorbic acid. Citric will acidify (I use it for canned tomatoes) but it won't help with browning. Ascorbic won't acidify...it's only good for preventing browning.

Back
Top Bottom