"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmeow View Post
... using the inversion method from the certo box...
It's in the Sure-Jell box as well. I think if you follow the directions exactly, it will be fine ... McNerd and I just had a conversation on this in another thread.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmeow View Post
for 20 years have made jellies from our berries using the inversion method from the certo box. The jars are sterile and kept upside down in a 200F oven until I fill them. All the jars seal, I count the pops! Is this no longer a safe method? I guess I figured if the jars sealed they were ok. I sure hate to invest in canning equipment but I do want safe food. My jellies are usually given to friends through the holidays.
I hope your friends have good health insurance. Just like not wearing a seat belt. You may not get into an accident, but when you do....results are very serious.

The first thing I would do is apologize to my friends for putting them in possible harms way. You were providing them unsafe food that had not been "canned." The second thing I would do is purchase the canning equipment -- why would they have it if it were not required -- and third, I would purchase current copies of canning books like the Ball Blue Book.

With your method, called "open kettle", nothing is sterile as long as it is exposed to the air. Turning the jars upside down in the oven sounds good but serves no purpose. Is bacteria supposed to fall into the jars? Bacteria, especially the Botulism spore, is not eliminated by cooking or boiling in a pan and it exists in our daily environment. It's probably on your hands right now, but its totally harmless -until- it gets into a sealed jar. That not-so-necessary canning process is what is needed to destroy it.

"Canning" is fun and can be safe, but it demands respect.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is about sterilizing a jar or container. Don't you simply bring a pan or kettle of water to a rolling boil & pour it over the container?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Head Chef

Actually it is not sterilizing the jar or container that's important, but the contents. That's what the Boiling Water Bath Canner and Pressure Canner do. That process kills not only the active bacteria toxins, but the source that creates them (which normal cooking/boiling/sterilizing does not do), and then creates a true vacuum seal away from any further contamination while the jar is sealed.