Help, Raspberry Jam, GOOP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenion

Assistant Cook
I have made strawberry jam quite a few times with pectin, no problems. This was my first time with rasberries... I followed the recipie to a tea and it did not call for pectin. I now have rasberry goo with seeds. Is there any way of re-doing it so it is not wasted? It was quite expensive? I have 18 jars!!! :wacko: When I did the plate test, I saw wrinkles, I don't understand what I did wrong. Is there any way of saving this mess now that it is already canned? :question:

How much time has passed since you processed the jars? Different fruits may not gel immediately and will do so weeks later. Even so I would anticipate that Raspberry "goo" would be quite tasty as a syrup on things.

Reprocessing from the beginning and adding pectin would probably overcook your fruit and would not be worth the expense. If you have Instant ClearJel® you can always thicken a jar when it is opened.

I'm just curious though....18 jars! Did you do that as one big batch or did you do several batches? If you by chance did one big batch (not recommended) might also explain the lack of a gel. Big batches are possible, but commercial entities use "Pomona Pectin" which is available online and in some whole food stores.

I did one big batch and I did it three days ago. If I had taken the seeds out, I wouldn't mind using it as a syrup but it has the seeds in it. YIKES! :ohmy: Whenever I've done my strawberry jam, I do big batch's with no problem. I am def. going to use the Pomona Pectin next time and I'm never going to use a recipe without pectin! Thank you for the advice!

I never use pictin, and I mean Never. Taste is a very personal thing and I cannot tell to start liking the seeds, personaly I could no care less if they are there. What was the recipe you use?

It gelled!! Thank goodness!! This was the recipe: Of course had to do alot of math as I had 3 flats of berries...

9 cups raspberries
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Put the berries in at big pot, added the sugar in a steady stream over med. heat stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.

Increased heat to high and brought to full boil, stirring constantly. Reduced heat to med/high and boil rapidly, stirring often and reducing heat further as mixture thickened for 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Test setting point on a cooled plate.

Skimmed off foam, which there really wasn't much.

Ladled into sterilized jars within 1/4 inch of rims. Processed in water bath canner for 10 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom