Hi from Niagara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi folks,
My wife and I enjoy gardening and related activities.
We have a decent sized veggie garden (eight 10'x4' raised beds), plus about 35 muscat grape vines, 8 riesling grape vines, 4 fig trees, 2 pear trees, some raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, currant bushes, and an apple tree.

We can a lot each year. We love making Salsa's, peach pepper jelly, jams, pickled veggies, chutneys, and I make Wine, cider, and beer as well. We so far only do water bath canning. I'd like to get a pressure canner so we can start doing stuff like stews.

Hoping to keep learning more on this site.

We're about half way through our canning season now and we're about out of space. I'm going to add another shelving unit in our cellar and move one of the wine racks to make space.

Attachments

• 20170822_194156.jpg
    20170822_194156.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20170727_144907.jpg
    20170727_144907.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20170628_203042.jpg
    20170628_203042.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 120
Wow, nice garden.
Welcome

Are your fig trees very productive ?
and what do you do to overwinter them ?
Ive had no luck ( in in the new yoke area). the root survives, but everything else dies down, and the season isn't long enough for the plant to regrow from the root and produce figs. I've tried wrapping them up in every which way, with no success.

Hi folks,
My wife and I enjoy gardening and related activities.
Related activities like shoveling snow, scraping ice off your windshield, and spreading rock salt on the porch steps? (I'm originally from the other side of the Gorge!) :LOL:

Welcome to Discuss Cooking ;)

Last edited:
Hi Larry,
It's varied a lot by year.
2 of our fig plants are in portable planters, 2'x2'x2', I bring them into the garage for winter.
The other 2 are outside against our garage. I typically wrap them in burlap, then in black weed-blocking material, and stuff the bottom with some hay.
In 2012, 2013, and this year, we got good crops from each of the in-ground ones. Enough to make some jam and one of our favourite appetizers, bacon wrapped figs stuffed with goat cheese :)
2014, 2015, and 2016 were no good. Winter was too cold and they died back to the ground. We only got a couple ripe figs off each. Didn't have the portable ones at that point yet, but my garage rarely gets much below freezing so I think they'd be fine.

Back
Top Bottom