"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Home canned pears and pear butter

My friend, who lives in Mississippi, has a lot of fruit and nut trees in her yard, and this year, her pear trees produced big time!

We made a pear crisp from a quart of her canned pears, and was surprised to find that even after baking, the pears were still crunchy.
Her pear butter is even better than apple butter.

__________________

__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
We made a pear crisp from a quart of her canned pears, and was surprised to find that even after baking, the pears were still crunchy.
Sounds like they may have been the old Kieffer (AKA Sand) pear. I love them and we put up four 5 gallon buckets of them this year...You can c0ok them forever and they want mush up.......
__________________

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Carmel Valley, CA
Posts: 24
I canned 6 cases of Warren pear sauce this summer. The Warren pear is so sweet that no sweetener is necessary. I just core, cook until somewhat softened (about 15 minutes) and put it through my food mill to remove the skin.

We eat it most nights as a condiment with our dinner.

Shelly
__________________
shellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Sounds like they may have been the old Kieffer (AKA Sand) pear. I love them and we put up four 5 gallon buckets of them this year...You can c0ok them forever and they want mush up.......
I believe you are right, Bob. They had been canned an then baked in a pie, and they still had a little crunch.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
The pear butter sounds interesting. We love apple butter and pumpkin butter, so I would be curious to try this one. Anyone with a TNT recipe for it?
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
bethzaring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern New Mexico
Posts: 4,602
I made pear butter one time, about 8 years ago and it was sublime. My seckel tree was loaded that year and I canned about 30 pints of pear butter. Here is the recipe from Ball

20 medium pears (seckel's took way more)
4 cups sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 t. grated orange peel
1/2 t. nutmeg

Wash, core pears. Cook until soft adding only enough water to prevent sticking about 1/2 cup. Press through sieve

Combine pear pulp and sugar in a large saucepot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process in BWB 10 minutes. Yield, 4 pints

As I do not have access to citrus, I keep orange, lemon and lime oil in the frig. I substituted 3 drops of orange oil for the juice and peel.

this stuff was heaven on biscuits, toast, cornbread, cereal, yogurt, custard, pert near anything..
__________________
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
That sounds good, Beth. I do know my friend put some cinnamon in it as well. I'll ask for her recipe.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I made pear butter one time, about 8 years ago and it was sublime. My seckel tree was loaded that year and I canned about 30 pints of pear butter. Here is the recipe from Ball

20 medium pears (seckel's took way more)
4 cups sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 t. grated orange peel
1/2 t. nutmeg

Wash, core pears. Cook until soft adding only enough water to prevent sticking about 1/2 cup. Press through sieve

Combine pear pulp and sugar in a large saucepot, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until thick enough to round up on a spoon. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle hot into hot pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process in BWB 10 minutes. Yield, 4 pints

As I do not have access to citrus, I keep orange, lemon and lime oil in the frig. I substituted 3 drops of orange oil for the juice and peel.

this stuff was heaven on biscuits, toast, cornbread, cereal, yogurt, custard, pert near anything..
Very cool! Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.