Home Canning on the BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arik2

Assistant Cook
The ceramic cooktop stoves aren't exactly a home canners dream. Has anyone tried doing their home canning on their barbecue? The most important thing, of course, is that the canner full of water must reach and sustain boiling for the given amount of time. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Has anyone tried this? Thanks!!!!!

If you have a gas grill with adjustable burners, it's the same as a gas range, so of course you could can on it. I'd just never thought about it.

You're right ... glass/ceramic stove tops have a couple of problems for canners - the weight and the bottom surface of the pot. You need a flat bottom pot not more than about 12-16 quarts max due to the weight - which means you can't process much at one time. Your cook top should give you the max load it can handle ... and water is 8.345 lbs per gallon.

Like Constance said ... a gas grill is basically like a gas stove top - except for the distance between the burners and the bottom of the pot. If you have a gas grill with a side burner ... that might solve the problem. Otherwise, you might want to remove the grill/grate and nestle the pot down as close the burners as you can to reduce heat loss.

I remember when I was young watching my Grandma can using a wood fire and a big cast iron cauldron ... lined with straw so the jars didn't bang into each other.

Another idea might be to buy anoutdoor base that hooks up to the bbq tank. I bought one a few years ago when i started canning tomatoes. When I'm reducing them, I can put my biggest stock pot on it with no problems. Good luck!

What a fun memory, Michael!

Loprraine said:
Another idea might be to buy an outdoor base that hooks up to the bbq tank.

Great idea, Loprraine! And, thanks for kindly kick-starting my old brain cells.

A propane gas ring (like the base that comes with a turkey fryer or fish fryer set) would be perfect! Depending on what time of year, where you buy it, and what you get - it could be as cheap as $25!

You "could" do it on a gas grill - but this would be more efficient!

"like the base that comes with a turkey fryer "
Thanks for that idea. I bought one last fall, never thought of using it for canning. Silly moi!:)

Back
Top Bottom