"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 11-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Home-made wine & botulism

In late September, I crushed Thompson seedless grapes. The juice has fermented until last night, Nov. 20, at room temperature. I plan to pour the new wine tomorrow. I tasted a sample (2 glasses) last night and I'm still around. However, I need to know is there a chance of botulism in home-made white wine?

Thanks to all.

chasfav

Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
No.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I don't think its likely, I have come across a couple of warnings of a danger of botulism in homemade flavored vinegar, so I suppose it's possible.

Most sites I've run across mention the most common sources of it being home canned, low acid foods such as corn or green beans, and not one has specifically mentioned wine, and a winemaking site I hit had no mention either.

But, also according to that winemaking site, it should take somewhere close to a year or more to make a good bottle of wine. When you say "pour" are you putting it into bottles or glasses?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
Senior Cook

The acidic environment means virtually no chance of botulism. Decades of home winemaking never hurt anyone in my family. And after 2 glasses, you'd already have poisoned yourself, no?

You're just talking about moving the fermented juice into carboys for secondary fermentation, right? 'cause that's not wine yet.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
I don't think its likely, I have come across a couple of warnings of a danger of botulism in homemade flavored vinegar, so I suppose it's possible.
?

I think you mean flavored oil. There is no botulism threat from vinegar because of it's acidity.

chasfav, I assume you are following directions of some sort or have other guidance on wine making. Do they tell you to test the acidity of the mixture? That would be the way to tell.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
What everybody else is saying. Botulism can't live in an acidic environment and I doubt it takes kindly to the alcohol either.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Executive Chef

If it were a concern, I think there would be a lot of botulism deaths in prisons!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

The chances of getting botulism from homemade wine are extremely unlikely at best, and most likely impossible because of the acidic nature of grapes and the alcohol content. However, just to be on the safe side, I would thoroughly wash the grapes and the container(s) used to brew the wine as well as my hands. Less than optimum sanitation could cause health issues other than botulism.