Home-made wine & botulism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasfav

Assistant Cook
In late September, I crushed Thompson seedless grapes. The juice has fermented until last night, Nov. 20, at room temperature. I plan to pour the new wine tomorrow. I tasted a sample (2 glasses) last night and I'm still around. However, I need to know is there a chance of botulism in home-made white wine?

Thanks to all.

chasfav

I don't think its likely, I have come across a couple of warnings of a danger of botulism in homemade flavored vinegar, so I suppose it's possible.

Most sites I've run across mention the most common sources of it being home canned, low acid foods such as corn or green beans, and not one has specifically mentioned wine, and a winemaking site I hit had no mention either.

But, also according to that winemaking site, it should take somewhere close to a year or more to make a good bottle of wine. When you say "pour" are you putting it into bottles or glasses?

Last edited:
The acidic environment means virtually no chance of botulism. Decades of home winemaking never hurt anyone in my family. And after 2 glasses, you'd already have poisoned yourself, no?

You're just talking about moving the fermented juice into carboys for secondary fermentation, right? 'cause that's not wine yet.

Last edited:
I don't think its likely, I have come across a couple of warnings of a danger of botulism in homemade flavored vinegar, so I suppose it's possible.
?

I think you mean flavored oil. There is no botulism threat from vinegar because of it's acidity.

chasfav, I assume you are following directions of some sort or have other guidance on wine making. Do they tell you to test the acidity of the mixture? That would be the way to tell.

What everybody else is saying. Botulism can't live in an acidic environment and I doubt it takes kindly to the alcohol either.

The chances of getting botulism from homemade wine are extremely unlikely at best, and most likely impossible because of the acidic nature of grapes and the alcohol content. However, just to be on the safe side, I would thoroughly wash the grapes and the container(s) used to brew the wine as well as my hands. Less than optimum sanitation could cause health issues other than botulism.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom