Horseradish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raspberrymocha55

Senior Cook
I planted horseradish 6 years ago. Have never gotten around to digging it. Boy, does it spread! Plan to grind it outside with wind at my back. How do I process it?

My dad would grind it in the food processor or blender with some vinegar. It practically knocked him out every year, but he felt it was worth it! Then he jarred and refrigerated or froze it.

Wish I had some. Dad would dig these huge roots on his farm properties that had been around forever.

Last edited:
I have contemplated freezing it. Would prefer to can it if possible. A friend gave me the roots and she has since moved away. I want to send her some. Can't mail the roots as she lives in a condo. Grinding indoors is not a good idea! LOL

I have contemplated freezing it. Would prefer to can it if possible. A friend gave me the roots and she has since moved away. I want to send her some. Can't mail the roots as she lives in a condo. Grinding indoors is not a good idea! LOL

You can make horseradish sauce and can that; do the grinding outside. You can also put the roots in a box of sand, like carrots and potatoes, to store all winter and use fresh.

I'm not sure why you can't mail the roots to a condo. Just wrap them in paper towels, put them in freezer bags and mail in one of those one-price mailer boxes from the post office.

There is no outdoor space for her to grind it. As you know, grinding horseradish is best done outside, unless one has masochistic tendencies!

We used to grind it in the spring and cover it with white vinegar.

The old roots are tough and woody, try to stick with young tender roots.

I think everyone should make it once to understand the work involved.

Then you don't mind buying it in the store for a buck and a half a bottle! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
We used to grind it in the spring and cover it with white vinegar.

The old roots are tough and woody, try to stick with young tender roots.

I think everyone should make it once to understand the work involved.

Then you don't mind buying it in the store for a buck and a half a bottle! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

But, the joy of making one's own supersedes the anguish and burned out sinuses! LOL! I just plain love going to the basement and seeing all the canned goods waiting for the cold winter.

There is no outdoor space for her to grind it. As you know, grinding horseradish is best done outside, unless one has masochistic tendencies!

I and 17 other people ground fresh horseradish indoors for a culinary-school class, to make bechamel with horseradish (sauce Albert). Granted, it was a large room, but I didn't think it was much worse than chopping onions. In fact, the day the 18 of us chopped onions, someone in the hall thought there was a gas leak :LOL:

My experience was feeling masochistic tendencies even when grinding it outside:ohmy::LOL:. I know I have made it more than once, so the initial experience did not put me off from ever making it again, but I thought my sinuses would never be the same!

My Mom and our neighbor would hand-grate a bunch of horseradish every year to store in their basement refrigerators. One year they got the bright idea to do it in the blender on the screened back porch. When they took the lid off the blender they ran down the steps to get fresh air. Meanwhile, of course there was a brisk breeze coming in the back of the house and brought the smell into the house, going through the kitchen, hallway, dining room, and reaching the living room still smelly enough we all went out the front door! :LOL:

The grocery store sells fresh roots in the produce section. I'm tempted to buy a small one to grate fresh into foods as needed but the memory of that day keeps me from buying it.

Stepson wants me to use my blender. I'm hitting the flea market to find an old metal grinder. Now, for a cool windy day! I even ordered some short ribs. ( there's a nice little butcher shop that actually delivers for free once a week!) Mmm, braised short ribs with fresh horsey sauce. My mouth waters (along with my eyes!)

Back
Top Bottom