"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Master Chef
With very fleshy peppers like Anaheims, Bananas, Jalapenos, etc., I just rinse them off, dry them well, & pop them whole as is in a ziploc bag in the freezer. When I need some, I just take them out, give them another quick rinse under running water to "just" thaw them a little, & then while they're still partially frozen I can very easily seed, slice, dice, or whatever I need to do for the recipe.

With the very skinny thin-skinned peppers like Thai, Cayenne, etc., I rinse them, dry them, string them on thread, & hang them up to dry. When completely dry, I store them in air-tight plastic containers in the pantry.

For types that are sort of inbetween the above, like Tabasco, Serrano, etc., I use as many fresh as I can, & then "pickle" the rest in plain white vinegar in the refrigerator.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
Master Chef
I dry cayennes, and my husband roasts and I freeze other, fleshier peppers.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
I love dried cayenne peppers.
KatieFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
Head Chef
i usually end up putting the chili peppers (small, long, narrow) in a bowl on the counter. Since I live in the arid west, they dry on their own without doing anything else to them. Sometimes I will dice up onion and jalapenos, have too much for one meal, put the rest in freezer bags and pop in the freezer. I then can take some out, a bit at a time, already diced.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
Head Chef
I string thin peppers (like cayenne) on dental floss and hang them to dry. Dental floss (unflavored, of course!) is great for jobs like this, because it is very strong.

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote