"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 11-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How do I preserve this chili oil sauce (Merged)

I want to make a Japanese inspired chili oil sauce and give it to friends and family for the holidays. The sauce has vegetable oil, sesame oil, crushed red peppers, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, black vinegar, sake and sugar. I cook everything together and then pour is in a jar or bottle.

How long will this sauce will keep? How do make the sauce last longer?

Steve

Old 11-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Any oil containing add-ins such as garlic, ginger or fresh herbs, cooked or not, is susceptable to the growth of botulism. You must refrigerate it and it must be used within 10 days to two weeks.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I would use a preserving jar method, similar to storing homemde ketchup etc.

Put the sauce in a warm, clean jar or bottle (I usually put in a low temperature oven), loosely seal with a lid - I have used kilner jars and the lidded preserving jars. Sterlise using the water method or by putting in low oven for half hour or so. Remove from sterlier and tighten lid. As it cools it will create a tight seal and should stay good for six months at least.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
Senior Cook

This recipe is high risk for botulism as already noted. You can not reliably home preserve this sauce with safe results.

The problem is the oil creates a no-oxygen environment. Garlic is a wet ingredient and harbors botulism spores. Botulism can grow anaerobically (without oxygen) but produces botulinin toxin as a byproduct. Botulism spores are not killed by home canning methods.

Give them the recipe and the separate ingredients instead.

thymeless
Old 11-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I would agree. Botulism isn't anything you want to mess with!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Or just call it the seasonal botox sauce. People in Beverly Hills will eat it up!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

It is the conventional wisdom that you cannot home can oils. This one has 'way too many things in it that can be potentially dangerous.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Bottling Modified Sauce?

I recently asked about bottling an Asian Oil Sauce with Fresh garlic and Ginger.

To refresh your memory, I have vegetable oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, and crushed red peppers. The recipe also calls for fresh garlic and ginger. I made it over the weekend with garlic powder and ginger powder.

Do you think I can bottle this and distribute for the holidays without poisoning my friends and family? If so, what precautions should I take?

Am I completely nuts for attempting anything like this?

Did I mention that the garlic powder and ginger powder are store bought from the spice section?

Steve
Old 11-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
Everymom

That sounds safer Steve, but I really don't know how you could make it truly safe. Hang on a bit and Michael will see this. He is the expert researcher around here.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I thought it definitely looked better too - I just don't know how much better. At least there's no fresh garlic in there. I think there needs to be some sort of citric acid in there for a preservative - like potassium nitrate, which can be bought at a drug store.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote