How long does frozen fresh meat & fish last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VeraBlue said:
For your information, Charlie...I'm certified in Food Safety Handling and Sanitation in both New York State and in New Jersey. ...

So, what? Your sertificat is good for one thing. Protect the company in case of something abnormal happenes. So you'd tell the person, that he/she was told not to do this or that. That's all.

love2"Q" said:
i wont cook anything that has been in there longer than 2 months ..
wrong or right .. thats my rule ...
but i buy 90 % of my meat fresh ..

Nothing wrong with that. Providing there is fresh meat to by. Some people are just not as lucky as you are.

CharlieD said:
So, what? Your sertificat is good for one thing. Protect the company in case of something abnormal happenes. So you'd tell the person, that he/she was told not to do this or that. That's all.

That could possibly be the least informed comment you've made yet, regarding my knowledge on this topic. I took, and still take offense to your remark about not paying any attention to someone who doesn't freeze their meat. I find that 'advice' dangerous and childish.

Constance said:
Vera, you have a right to be proud of your training and certification, and I am not slighting that in any way. But in your situation, you (the state) have to be prepared to cover your backside to prevent a lawsuit, which means that it is best to err on the side of safety.

Here are quotes from a USDA document on freezing food:

"Because freezing keeps food safe almost indefinitely, recommended storage times are for quality only. Refer to the freezer storage chart at the end of this document, which lists optimum freezing times for best quality."

"Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes -- bacteria, yeasts and molds - - present in food. Once thawed, however, these microbes can again become active, multiplying under the right conditions to levels that can lead to foodborne illness. Since they will then grow at about the same rate as microorganisms on fresh food, you must handle thawed items as you would any perishable food."
Freezing and Food Safety
Thanks for the post Constance. I have kept items in the freezer longer than the limits proscribed by most of the earlier posts. The chart you refer to begins with the following:
Freezer Storage Chart (0 °F)
Note: Freezer storage is for quality only. Frozen foods remain safe indefinitely.
And as for as Vera's cooties on the outside; that's another reason to sear all surfaces. Of course, I'm not worried about certifications, and lawsuits are unlikely unless a burglar raids my ice box.

I keep things in the freezer, depending on what it is, for up to a year. It does have to be packaged properly. Vera, I just took my ServSafe exam. I believe that anyone who has come out of that course and received a food safety handling certification will look at food safety issues in a whole new light!

PytnPlace said:
I keep things in the freezer, depending on what it is, for up to a year. It does have to be packaged properly. Vera, I just took my ServSafe exam. I believe that anyone who has come out of that course and received a food safety handling certification will look at food safety issues in a whole new light!

Agreed. It makes you wonder about every time you had an upset stomach, or 'the runs' without overmany other symptoms......:ermm: Telling someone their certificate is only worth protecting the company is like telling a doctor, who has instructed you to irrigate a wound daily, that you know a little dirt in the wound won't kill you. It's just arrogance.

so, what do you both think of the term "healthy dirt", to be able to build up your resistance to disease by not being so clean.

just playing devils advocate, to bring up an interesting point to people with knowledge.

it seems like good ol' home remedy type of thinking, which could also be viewed as russian roullette. (lol, offense, or pun intended, charlie)

VeraBlue said:
Telling someone their certificate is only worth protecting the company is like telling a doctor, who has instructed you to irrigate a wound daily, that you know a little dirt in the wound won't kill you. It's just arrogance.

Vera, I did not say that your certification was ONLY worth protecting the company. Please don't twist my words. Here is what I DID say:

"Vera, you have a right to be proud of your training and certification, and I am not slighting that in any way. But in your situation, you (the state) have to be prepared to cover your backside to prevent a lawsuit, which means that it is best to err on the side of safety."

I find it amusing that you mention the word "arrogance", since you've chosen to totally ignore the findings of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
And your comparison of your training to that of a doctor is both inappropriate and megalomanic.

Regarding packaging, most of it is in standard supermarket packaging, with a foam tray and shrink-wrap and top. Also those are loosely held in plastic grocery bags.

riker1384 said:
Regarding packaging, most of it is in standard supermarket packaging, with a foam tray and shrink-wrap and top. Also those are loosely held in plastic grocery bags.
Good to hear from the guy who started this hubbub. I won't presume to know the best or only way but here's what I do when I know something is going to be in the freezer for a while. Keep in mind that I rarely cook for more than one or two.

Before putting it into the freezer divide the package into portions you expect to thaw at one time. For me that is 1/2 lb. ground meat, two pork chops, etc. Then I wrap those portions in plastic wrap with as little air as possible using a piece of masking tape to keep the plastic in place. Put the portioned quantities into a freezer bag, again with as little air as possible and label the date and contents with a sharpie on another piece of masking tape. By the way, masking tape won't stick to plastic unless it's dry and room temperature.

Thanks for starting the thread.

I always repackage for freezing as well. Another nice product to use for freezing is Glad's Press and Seal wrap.

We use a ziplock first, squoosh the air out, and then wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil. The foil is secured with duct tape, and we then write the date and contents on the tape with a magic marker.

Vacuum packed chicken and meats on plastic trays get wrapped with heavy-duty foil.

Items that are vacuum packed in heavy plastic (sides of ribs, corned beef briskets, etc) go straight into the freezer.

I freeze homemade soups, broths and such in freezer weight ziplocks.

I also rotate my stock. We just got a new freezer, and since you always lose what's in the bottom, DH filled it with milk jugs of water laid on their sides, and placed a piece of cardboard on top. Now we can easily see and reach everything we have, and since it's just the 2 of us now, we still have plenty of room.

Last edited:
Constance said:
Vera, I did not say that your certification was ONLY worth protecting the company. Please don't twist my words. Here is what I DID say:

"Vera, you have a right to be proud of your training and certification, and I am not slighting that in any way. But in your situation, you (the state) have to be prepared to cover your backside to prevent a lawsuit, which means that it is best to err on the side of safety."

I find it amusing that you mention the word "arrogance", since you've chosen to totally ignore the findings of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
And your comparison of your training to that of a doctor is both inappropriate and megalomanic.
I was talking about Charlie.

Back
Top Bottom