"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 08-31-2006, 04:15 PM   #11
Senior Cook
6 months or more

I keep my stock in a stand alone upright freezer, and I've never had trouble with it being there for up to 6 months. I do find that some tomatoe sauces need some moisture from tomatoe juice or stock after they are defrosted.

carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
Senior Cook
I always make my own stock and here's what I do to freeze it. I put some of the stock in ice cube trays, then freeze solid for about 24 hrs. Take them out and put them in a zip loc bag so you can use 2 or 3 at a time if you only need a few. For soup or gravy, I freeze the rest in various sized containers. (1 cup for gravy, 3 cups for soup etc.) As soon as it's frozen I take the stock out of the container and vacuum seal it with my Food Saver. This gadget is the best thing going and you can keep stock in the freezer for 1 year. Mine never lasts anywhere near that long because we eat it up but it stays fresh for a long time.

VegasDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Thanks for all the replies folks. The bottom line: I'll be getting an upright stand alone freezer soon. And I'll experiment with the ice cube ideas.
And the sauces too. Peace.
tomgreg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I wouldn't recommend ice cubes for prolonged storage. Freezer burn/the absorption of off flavors is proporational to surface area. The greater the surface area, the greater the impairment. Making ice cubes from stocks increases the stock's surface area exponentially.
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Also, since you are just starting out freezing - keep in mind "FIFO" First In First Out - always put new items in the back or under the older. It will be a great habit to get into. And date everything!!!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:46 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
a grainy, brownish spot where the tissues become dry and tough. This surface freeze-dried area is very likely to develop "off" flavors. Packaging in heavy-weight, moisture-proof wrap will prevent freezer burn.

The operative word here is "tissues", not liquid, as in stock. Freezer burn is caused by water from tissues going from a solid (frozen) state to a gaseous state without becoming liquid and hence "burning" (drying/dehydrating) the tissues. The process is called "sublimation". Water/broth can also go from the solid state (ice) to gaseous, but there is nothing left to "burn".

"Let's demystify the oxymoron "freezer burn." In On Food and Cooking, Harold McGee explains that freezer burn is essentially a patch of freeze-dried meat on the surface of otherwise normally moist tissue. That's bad. It happens to food that's been frozen awhile. Solids - tissues full of moisture - are transformed into gases at freezing temperatures, a process called sublimation. Think of sublimation as the subzero equivalent of evaporation.

Avoid freezer burn by packing or wrapping foods tightly. You can freeze meat or poultry in supermarket wrappers if you put non-permeable wrap, such as heavy-duty foil, freezer paper or freezer bags, around it, with the air squeezed out. Remember that stuff in the freezer gets bumped around a lot as you root through it for that half-eaten pint of chocolate ice cream. Containers and wrapping need to be sturdy."
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Thanks all for the tips, info. Make some stock today, actually. Will try freezing some.. ! :)
Old 09-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #18
Master Chef
I keep mine for 1-2 years. It's well packaged, and the deep freeze isn't opened more than once or twice a week. If it looks raunchy when I thaw it, I throw it out, but you'd be surprised how long some things will last
On the other hand, I found a venison roast from '03 the other day, and threw it in the crockpot, thinking it would be OK cooked that way. There was no freezer burn on the meat, but when I cooked it, it had gotten a strong taste. My husband went ahead and ate a sandwich, gave some to the dog, then threw the rest away. It wasn't spoiled, it just tasted funky. The dog thought it was great.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
That's pretty funny..:) I once found some ground beef in the back
of the fridge that was kind of green on the edges but used it anyway.
Stupid move and felt sick for a week..! So I'm yet to get my new freezer but am excited about it..! What's the best temperature for freezing? Is coldest necessarily best?