"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

How long will chicken stock keep in the freezer?

Hello folks. Planning on buying an extra freezer for basic stocks and sauces.
How long will chicken stock last frozen? How about basic tomato sauce?
How about if they are vacuum packed and frozen? Any tips would be truly appreciated. Thanks. -- T

Old 08-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgreg2002
Hello folks. Planning on buying an extra freezer for basic stocks and sauces.
How long will chicken stock last frozen? How about basic tomato sauce?
How about if they are vacuum packed and frozen? Any tips would be truly appreciated. Thanks. -- T
Tom,
you will most likely get a lot of answers here. Each of us has their own ideas on how long to keep frozen things. Me, I only keep stock about 2 months..Same thing with tomatoe sauce. Meat, chicken, fish..no more than 1 month..I just don't care for some of the freezer burn or odd tastes things pick up. Vacuum packed, don't have an opinion as I don't use vacuum packing.

kadesma

Old 08-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

I use a foodsaver and it really works well! I only keep things for 2 months, just because I'm crazy about keeping my foods up to date. Also, remember to freeze fresh lemon juice!

As for the chicken stock here's a handy tip: freeze it, using ice cube trays. Then, put the cubes in your freezer bag/container. When needing some for a recipe, take out however many cubes you need. Saves time!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the info..!.....sounds like 2 months is the ball park limit. I'll keep this in mind.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I have an upright freezer. I freeze chicken stock in 6-10 cup plastic containers for a year at a time. I keep the freezer at -10F and never had a problem. Mine is NOT a frost-free so freezer burn is much less of a problem. Besides, chicken stock is just frozen flavored water, nothing is going to be harmed.

I also freeze tomato sauces, some plain and some with sausages and meatballs in it. It is also no problem to freeze them for extended periods.

I absolutely do not see extended freezing in a stand alone freezer as a food safety issue. For the items mentioned, deteriorating quality has not been a problem.

You can extend freezer life of all foods by wrapping them properly. Air in the packaging is the main culprit to damage. I wrap meats in two layers of plastic wrap or one layer and a Ziplock freezer bag.

Certainly, a Food Saver system would be the best way to go for long-term freezing. It offers the best protection. Other than that, tight, airless wrapping is your best protection.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Great info..! Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:11 AM   #7
Senior Cook

If your stock gets badly freezer burned, you can rinse off the outer 1/4" with hot water. I usually have pretty good turnover with stocks, but every once in a while I find one buried that's been in the freezer for ages. Rinsing off a layer works wonders. Just make sure you freeze it in a hunk and not in cubes or flat, as the more surface area you have, the greater exposure to air/off flavors.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I freeze chicken and beef broth/stock for many months. What is to go bad?
And with all due respect, I don't think stock can get freezer burn, which is the process where solid (meat) goes to a gaseous state. Stock may get ice crystals, but they are just that.
I freeze mine in ZipLoc bags so they are pretty stackable.
I have a FoodSaver but see no benefit to vac sealing stock.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
Senior Cook

With all due respect, I'm not sure your definition of freezer burn is correct. From the The Clemson University Cooperative Extension Service

Quote:
MOISTURE LOSS

Moisture loss, or ice crystals evaporating from the surface area of a product, produces freezer burn — a grainy, brownish spot where the tissues become dry and tough. This surface freeze-dried area is very likely to develop "off" flavors. Packaging in heavy-weight, moisture-proof wrap will prevent freezer burn.
Freezer burn is water migration. Anything with water in it can experience freezer burn.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I have an upright freezer. I freeze chicken stock in 6-10 cup plastic containers for a year at a time. I keep the freezer at -10F and never had a problem. Mine is NOT a frost-free so freezer burn is much less of a problem. Besides, chicken stock is just frozen flavored water, nothing is going to be harmed.

I also freeze tomato sauces, some plain and some with sausages and meatballs in it. It is also no problem to freeze them for extended periods.

I absolutely do not see extended freezing in a stand alone freezer as a food safety issue. For the items mentioned, deteriorating quality has not been a problem.

You can extend freezer life of all foods by wrapping them properly. Air in the packaging is the main culprit to damage. I wrap meats in two layers of plastic wrap or one layer and a Ziplock freezer bag.

Certainly, a Food Saver system would be the best way to go for long-term freezing. It offers the best protection. Other than that, tight, airless wrapping is your best protection.
Andy, your response sounds so much like the one I was going to write that I don't need to. I also have a stand alone freezer, only mine is a chest. Rarely do I have to throw any stock or sauce away for having kept it too long. Proper wrapping ANY item for freezing is key to retaining quality and flavor, tho... For instance, NEVER freeze meat or fish in the styrofoam tray / plastic wrap package they come from the store in!