How to make use of backyard plums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bia81

Assistant Cook
I have a tree full of plums, and I would like to make something that I can freeze.

I am not a gourmet, but I do have a Champion Juicer.

I searched the web for simple recipes for freezing, but did not find anything that seemed right.

Can anyone recommend a simple recipte for making plum butter or jam for freezing?

If it does not involve cooking, so much the better.

I do not have jars, and do not want to go that route.
I want to use freezer bags.

Thanks.

Single Dad with young (picky eater) son

Welcome to DC.

Puree in a food processor and pour into a freezer bag. If you want it sweetened and thick, you will need to cook. You don't have to jar and can it, just prepare any recipe you find and freeze it.

You can also cut in half, pit, freeze on a cookie sheet, then pour into a freezer bag and store in freezer until you can figure out what you want to do with them.

Then you can send them to me!

Welcome to DC!

Last edited:
Wash them and cut them off the pits.

Dehydrate them to chewy sweet jewels to snack on.

Fruit leather: plums, sugar, blend fine, dehydrate on a mesh covered in plastic wrap, roll up and store (fridge or freezer).

To find a good plum butter --make them like apple butter but use plums. I hear it works best in a slow cooker so they don't burn or scorch. Once done (many hours of slow cooking), sanitize jars lids and screw lids, pour into jars, top with lids and water bath can for 30 minutes, cool and store. OR put in jars and freeze (any type jars--leave some headroom for expansion--mom used to do this).

Plum meat sauce: plums sugar salt vinegar cinnamon cloves--cook down to a sauce, use a hand blender to make it homogenous. (like a ketchup only spicier) (fridge or freezer)

I miss my plum tree.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom