How to preserve freshly ground coffee.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zfranca

Senior Cook
I was told to freeze it. Then I was told not to freeze it, and keep it at room temperature otherwise it separates. Who to believe?

I would keep it in an airtight container, out of the light and at room temperature. Hasn't failed me yet!

I would say it depends on how fast you go through it.
If a pound lasts you months I would store it in the fridge/freezer.
If it lasts a couple of weeks I would store as PF said.

I suppose it depends on how fresh you're talking about. I normally buy whole beans and grind them myself, 3 day's worth at a time. I keep the freshly ground coffee in an airtight container in the cupboard.

Pre-ground coffee, if I ever purchase any, I keep in a airtight container in the freezer. And when I go to use some, the grounds go straight into the coffee maker. :w00t2:

I would keep it in an airtight container, out of the light and at room temperature. Hasn't failed me yet!
Thanks PF. I just realized that rather than being concerned about how I store my ground coffee, I should be concerned about how THEY store it (meaning the people I buy it from). This downtown shop has an average room temperature of about 90-95F. No doors, no windows, and completly open to the road traffic. The coffee beans sit all they long in clear plastic display cases that most likely will be exposed to sun light later in the day, who knows for how long. I only hope they sell it fast enough. So far the coffee makes excellent expresso.
P.S When you say "out of the light" do you mean sunlight?

Attachments

• cake 045.jpg
    cake 045.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 210
Looks delightful!

I store ours in an old, large ball canning jar that has a glass seal under the screw band rather than a metal one (it also has a rubber gasket that fits between the jar and the lid). I just keep it on the counter in an area that doesn't get hit by direct sunlight. I think the glass does a better job keeping it fresh rather than plastic but it's just my opinion, not fact.

I've stored coffee beans in my freezer no probs. They were Arabica and their aroma stayed locked in for several weeks. I used either a cafetiere or just jug coffee. Nice.

Thanks PF. I just realized that rather than being concerned about how I store my ground coffee, I should be concerned about how THEY store it (meaning the people I buy it from). This downtown shop has an average room temperature of about 90-95F. No doors, no windows, and completly open to the road traffic. The coffee beans sit all they long in clear plastic display cases that most likely will be exposed to sun light later in the day, who knows for how long. I only hope they sell it fast enough. So far the coffee makes excellent expresso.
P.S When you say "out of the light" do you mean sunlight?

Out of the sunlight. I have an airtight, opaque container I use for about three days worth near the coffee maker. It usually doesn't last three days.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom