How to prevent apples from turning dark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
When canning apples what do you do to keep them from turning dark while you are preparing them for canning? I usually add lemon juice to the water but that didn't work the last time I tried it. I don't know what kind of apples I'm using other than they're yellow & tart. Thanks.

Lemon juice should have worked. it was either not enough in the water or too short of a time for the apple slices to absorb it.

that's what I use, too, quicksilver..........and I don't soak my apples in water....I just sprinkle on and mix around with my hands.........Fruit Fresh is also great to use and can be found at most groceries.......it's wonderful..........it's in a small shakeable container such as you would find spices........

that's what I use, too, quicksilver..........and I don't soak my apples in water....I just sprinkle on and mix around with my hands.........Fruit Fresh is also great to use and can be found at most groceries.......it's wonderful..........it's in a small shakeable container such as you would find spices........

I use Fruit Fresh too.

I am canning apples too.... How much lemon to how many apples?

I am canning apples too.... How much lemon to how many apples?

Not sure - just sprinkle on so when tossed all the slices get some. It's not an "excess" so there is none in the bottom of the bowl just sitting there - it's just sprinkled on.

I know that was so exact :blush:, but, I think that is about an accurate amount as you'll get. :ermm:

Fruit fresh is nothing more than vitaman C, It is used in the Jewish Passover and it is called sour salt. If you live in a community that has a large jewish populatiopn you will find it in the super mkt. And A little bit goes a loooooooong way

Hey, thanks! I just dont want the apples to taste like lemons.

I've had that happen!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I sprinkle less - I just wish there was a way for me to be more exact! The good news is that lemon is usually a nice flavor associated with apples - even in apple pie :LOL: OK, well maybe just one time!

Back
Top Bottom