How to store or preserve heavy cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
we dont have any grocery stores close to where i live,so i tried to bring several packs of cream and froze them so that when i want to cook or bake with it,i would have it available and wont have to wait for the car to go to the store and buy it,but unfortunately it lost its original form when i thawed it,it was watery with oily lumps of cream.anyone have any idea how to store it or whether it can be stored at all?

I'm no expert, but a quick Google didn't turn any method up except to store it in the coolest part of the refrigerator. I don't have your shopping constraints, but it irks me to buy a pint or a quart to use a fraction of it in a dish and weeks later find the rest useless. The best I can do is find lots of things to put whipped cream on!:pig:

Too perishable, it has to stay in the fridge. It usually have a couple of weeks use by date, but freezing it will just cause it to seperate.

Heavy cream does not freeze well. Most of the cream on the market these days is ultra pasteurized and will keep for a log time unopened. Once you open it, it will begin to deterioriate.

Look for cream with the most distant use by dates.

I would try putting the formerly frozen heavy cream in to a food processor and see if it would reblend. If not, if you continue long enough it might continue on to create butter and butter milk, both of which can be successfully frozen. It would at least avoid total loss.

Ice cream - just make ice cream with it when it starts to get old.

I love my little table top maker. Very convenient, not very loud and takes care of this issue easily. When you notice your cream is old, just stick the double walled bowl in the freezer overnight beforehand. I like to give it 24 hours of solid freezing.

I don't even use a recipe, just dump in enough milk products to make a little over a quart, add a cup of sugar, and maybe 2 tsp of really high quality vanilla, stir, stir, stir until the sugar is has lost granularity, throw it in the maker and wah, lah! I usually stick it out on the balcony to get rid of the noise all together.

30 minutes later - take it out of the maker, and either serve as soft-serve, or put it in another container and move it to the freezer for hardening.

2 small notes:

1 - the freezing process incorporates air so never make as much mix as it calls for - ie. mine makes 1 1/2 quarts, but I make just over 1 quart of mix.

2 - don't harden the ice cream in the double walled bowl. I ruined one that way.

Anywho... that's MY way of dealing with extra heavy cream in the fridge. :cool:

LL

Ice cream - just make ice cream with it when it starts to get old.

I love my little table top maker. Very convenient, not very loud and takes care of this issue easily. When you notice your cream is old, just stick the double walled bowl in the freezer overnight beforehand. I like to give it 24 hours of solid freezing.

I don't even use a recipe, just dump in enough milk products to make a little over a quart, add a cup of sugar, and maybe 2 tsp of really high quality vanilla, stir, stir, stir until the sugar is has lost granularity, throw it in the maker and wah, lah! I usually stick it out on the balcony to get rid of the noise all together.

30 minutes later - take it out of the maker, and either serve as soft-serve, or put it in another container and move it to the freezer for hardening.

2 small notes:

1 - the freezing process incorporates air so never make as much mix as it calls for - ie. mine makes 1 1/2 quarts, but I make just over 1 quart of mix.

2 - don't harden the ice cream in the double walled bowl. I ruined one that way.

Anywho... that's MY way of dealing with extra heavy cream in the fridge. :cool:

LL

That's the one I have too. ;) I've got 2 bowls in the freezer for those spur of the moments wanting to make some ice cream or yogurt.

thanks everyone for suggestions.making ice cream out of it is a good idea,except that my kids have bad throats most of the time,so i avoid making or buying such foods that can aggravate this problem.what i usually do is mix the left over cream with honey and put it on toast.kids love it.i just thought there must be a better way to make use of it if i can freeze it,but obviously it can not be stored once opened.putting it on cereal is a nice idea too though.;)

Hi Sarah, if your kids like cream with honey on the toast you may want to get the Nestle cream cans the next time around.

It does not need refrigeration (unless you open it). I have not bought that in a long time but when my kids were much younger they used to love eating a slightly creamed toast with some honey on it, exactly as you stated.

If I was not watching my calories I would love it too with toast. I just like the texture of that cream, it's more spreadable and delectable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom