I'd Much Rather Freeze Foods Than Can Them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey123 said:
I think I got a few books on home canning. I remember doing it years ago when I moved into my very first apartment in the spring of '73.

The websites I gave you give you the current canning methods ... there are some things I did back in '73 I might not try today - although the ones I would like to try again have nothing to do with canning. Gosh but I miss Jethro Tull, Boone's Farm Strawberry wine, and college. :wacko:

Corey123 said:
And if the lids for those jars are damaged or bent in any way, or if the rubber seal is impaired they can't be used and should be tossed.

Lids should only be used once - the sealing coumpound is not designed for multiple uses. The sealing compound also dries out - and new lids should be purchased at the beginning of each canning season. I have tried using some that were 2-3 years old ... some failed. With new lids I've never had a problem.

When my kids were little, I had a small chest freezer that I used for meats and some vegetables. I had a huge garden, and was also quite a forager, so I also did a LOT of canning.
I found that there were some things I liked better canned than frozen. Green beans, for instance, tasted more like they were freshly cooked from the garden. I didn't have a good place for potato storage, so I also canned new potatoes.
Corn, on the other hand, is much better frozen.

I actually enjoyed canning. Listening for the little "ping" of the jars sealing, and the sight of the jewel-like jars sitting on my shelves was very satisfying.

I once had a huge 15 cubic foot frost-free freezer.

Sadly, It wouldn't fit up the narrow stairs to this apartment, so I had to sell it.

~Corey123.

Lots of opinions about proper canning. Makes me wish I had a dishwasher to make sterilizing easier, then I could attempt this.

Just boil everything.

The water temp at 212 degrees kills bacteria.

And if you decide to get a dishwasher, just make sure that it can heat the final rinse water to at least 140 degrees or higher.

~Corey123.

lkcheat said:
Lots of opinions about proper canning. Makes me wish I had a dishwasher to make sterilizing easier, then I could attempt this.

Unless you buy a dishwasher that can heat the contents to 212-F and maintain that temp for a minimum of 10 minutes ... it will NOT sterilize anything ... it will only sanitize.

Like Corey said - it's not that hard to sterilize your jars. Sanitize them (wash with hot soap and water) and then place into your canner with enough hot water to cover by about 2-inches - bring to a rapid boil - then start your timer ... in 10 minutes they are sterilized.

If you use dishwasher sanitized jars for a recipe that calls for sterilized jars - wiill have to increase the processing time in a boiling water canner (5-10 minutes).

Thanks, Michael.

There are two distinctions or meanings to define these two words, in a sense. They are classified in TWO catagories as follows.

1. Sanitize;

This means that your dishwasher, like Mike said, uses up to about 140 to 160-degree final rinse water to properly get rid of and kill most of the bacteria that are on the dishes, eating utensils, glasses, pots & pans or whatever else have you.

Even though the water is considered to be very hot or scalding hot, it's still not hot enough to sterilize the ware. And even though it's true that machine-washed dishes are generally with much more freedom from bacterial contamination than with dishes washed by hand, still all microscopic organisms in the water are not destroyed.

And there is no dishwasher on the face of the earth that can STERILIZE dishes that I know of. Even the ones used in restaurants, hospitals, schools and catering co's. They just santitize the ware in a minimum temp of at least 180 degrees set by the NRA and the NSF and Serv-Safe, along with local state health officials and agencies.

Years ago, KitchenAid made home dishwashers that sanitized dishes in 180-degree final rinse water. But because of the energy crisis and ways that the gov't is looking into to help aplliance makers make tougher energy saving large appliances, 155 to 160 has been considered to be the new standard for final rinse water in home dishwashers which is also approved by the NSF.

And this must take 20 minutes or more to do it successfully. Which is why my machine takes 20 minutes to successfully sanitize the dishes after heating the final rinse water to 140 degrees. Dishes mush be power-rinsed in that temp to destroy most of the bacteria and promote good drying.

2. Sterilize;

Means just that. Raising the temp of the clean final rinse water to its limit - 212 degrees.

This method is used mainly by dentists, hospitals and research labs to properly clean and "boil" surgical instruments. The things used during surgery and dental procedures are washed, rinsed and then placed in a pressure cooker of sorts.

This device raises the clean water temp inside to exactly 212 degrees for ten minutes to kill and destroyed ALL living bacteria and microscopic organisms that might have been on the instruments.

This same method is used at home when you boil the jars, utensils and lids
for canning. You MUST do this in order to destroy all known and unkown
bacteria!! Indusrial co's do it also when they jar spaghetti sauce, pickles, veggies and canned foods as well.

If you don't, then you are putting youself and your family in harm's way and setting them up for serious illnesses that could even cause death.

Unknown pathagens, spores, germs , bacteria and food-borne illness outbreaks could occur. You need either a waterbath canner or you can use a pressure canner for this method and for canning.

I hope that this post clears up any misconceptions between the two words.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I also think there are some foods better frozen then canned. There are also foods better canned then frozen. I have a lg garden and I freeze and can. There is no way we could get all our foods from garden in freezer along with venison and we usually buy half a pig.
I love to can and as long as you follow directions ya ain't going to die from the canned food. Canned foods last longer then frozen, at least that is what I have noticed. I love to sit back and look at my canned goods sitting on the counter after a whole day of canning. Jars looks so nice.

Corey123 said:
And there is no dishwasher on the face of the earth that can STERILIZE dishes that I know of. Even the ones used in restaurants, hospitals, schools and catering co's. They just santitize the ware in a minimum temp of at least 180 degrees set by the NRA and the NSF and Serv-Safe, along with state health officials and agencies.~Corey123.

I could be grossly mistaken, but the kitchen I work in has a sterilizer that has a super heated cycle at the end. It is labeled sterilizer, NOT sanitizer. I don't think they would look kindly on me doing my jam there when I am supposed to be cooking for the kids though. :LOL:

Can you tell me the water temp that it uses to do this with?

If it's less than 212 degrees, then it does not sterilize the dishes.

~Corey123.

Constance said:
...Listening for the little "ping" of the jars sealing, and the sight of the jewel-like jars sitting on my shelves was very satisfying.

When we were little, my sister and I would sit so patiently for that little sound. Our job was to take off the ring, dry it and stack them up in mom's box, ready for the next year (or round of canning). I love canning and personally think that the taste is better for most things. Then again, I don't have a food saver thingey so I always tend to get air in the bags which I know contributes to the freezer taste.

Alix said:
I could be grossly mistaken, but the kitchen I work in has a sterilizer that has a super heated cycle at the end. It is labeled sterilizer, NOT sanitizer. I don't think they would look kindly on me doing my jam there when I am supposed to be cooking for the kids though. :LOL:

ya know Alix, and I am relying on memory which is not a good thing:wacko: , but the Hobart dish machine at the nursing home where I retired from, has a seperate heater, called a booster heater, that was considered a sterililzer. If I remember correctly, a dish machine could sterilizer via heat or chemicals and we used heat. The booster heater was activated at the end of the rinse cycle. I remember being paranoid about any thing mechanical in the kitchen and I required the staff to watch the digital read out of the water temp for every cycle to make sure the items were sterilized.

Beth, yes that is exactly what we use. And Corey, I haven't looked lately at the temperature gauge, but I am pretty sure it would be plenty hot enough to merit the name "sterilizer". You can't claim something here without having the proof in the pudding so to speak. When I say this machine super heats the water, I am not kidding. After the light turns off you open the door, stand aside and then take the tray out. My hands are pretty well asbestos after cooking for so long, and there is no way I can touch the dishes with bare hands. I will be sure to check the exact temperature for you the next time I am in. I have to warn you though, I am not back to work until July 31st. Hope you aren't in a hurry to have a more specific answer than the one I have given.

lkcheat said:

Ok - bethzaring and Alix - I believe the intent of Lisa's post was regarding using an average "home" model dishwasher to sterilize jars for canning. I'll stick to my previous answer - nope, it will only sanitize. Yep - if it reaches a temp of 180-F and maintains that temp for about 20 minutes ... you'll kill most food pathogens ... but it takes 212-F for 10 minutes to be sterile!

In a restaurant/hospital/nursing home environment food service dishwashing equipment generally only needs to sanitize. Hobart, if anyone, may make one that might sterilize - but looking at their line ... even the ones with the external/super heaters (in the $12,000 - $15,000 range) they only have a "sani" cycle and only claim to sanitize, even when used with sanitizing chemicals. In the hospital/nursing home environment - if someone has a seriously communicable disease that sanatizing will not handle - they get their meals served on disposable plates with plastic forks/knives/spoons, and are usually in isolation.

bethzaring said:
ya know Alix, and I am relying on memory which is not a good thing:wacko: , but the Hobart dish machine at the nursing home where I retired from, has a seperate heater, called a booster heater, that was considered a sterililzer. If I remember correctly, a dish machine could sterilizer via heat or chemicals and we used heat. The booster heater was activated at the end of the rinse cycle. I remember being paranoid about any thing mechanical in the kitchen and I required the staff to watch the digital read out of the water temp for every cycle to make sure the items were sterilized.

Yeah, that's usually the case. And to save energy and water costs, that same hot rinse water is recycled back into the wash water tank and is used to hellp keep the wash water scalding hot to effectivley clean the dishes.

Most places where I worked has those booster heaters.

~Corey123.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom