Is a separate Canning Kitchen a good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leolady

Head Chef
I was thinking that since I have room in my basement garage, and all of the items necessary to make this project, it might be a good idea.

I have an extra stove [gas Chambers], extra refrigerator, a dishwasher, a vintage wall hung kitchen sink, a couple of chest freezers, and a upright freezer, and a couple of cabinets.

The only expense I would have would be installing the sink & the old dishwasher, putting in a gas line, and putting up L bracket shelving. There is a laundry room with a furnace where we could connect the plumbing and gas lines next to the garage.

If I do this I can keep all of the space stealing food preservation equipment out of the upstairs kitchen. I would be taking advantage of the natural coolness of the basement in sweltering canning season and not heat up the whole upstairs.

There would still be room in the garage to park my compact car and another vehicle.

Do you think a canning kitchen would be worth the effort and expenditure? :ermm:

If you can a lot, if you can afford it, go for it. I know I would love to have one. Wait that would make 4 kitchens in my house, ah forget about it. But you should definetely go for it. ;)

There was actually another thread about this quite a while ago. You might be able to find it through a search. I remember there were a lot of opinions on both sides of the issue.

Well alright!

It may take about a year to save up cause I have more important projects I have to complete first, but I will install my canning Kitchen!

It won't be "pretty" but it will be fully functional when I am through.

I just read that thread! Man, she sure went to a lot of trouble and expense for her canning kitchen.

Mine will be a rustic little thing in comparison, with unfinished basement walls and scavenged stuff like old metal rolling carts instead of cabinetry. With my open shelves, it will look like what it will be --- a poverty version of a canning kitchen.

I still think I can make my kitchen function as well as hers does though, but beautiful it won't be!

I just read that thread! Man, she sure went to a lot of trouble and expense for her canning kitchen.

Mine will be a rustic little thing in comparison, with unfinished basement walls and scavenged stuff like old metal rolling carts instead of cabinetry. With my open shelves, it will look like what it will be --- a poverty version of a canning kitchen.

I still think I can make my kitchen function as well as hers does though, but beautiful it won't be!

I think it is a great idea for you to pursue a canning kitchen.

And it was a "he" in the above thread, a man to whom money was no object. Although he did not make it clear on this forum, he had never canned a jar in his life:huh:. One big difference from his circumstances and yours..

Thank you Beth! I guess I was too overwhelmed by all the expensive doo dads to notice she was a he!

The real reason I want a separate canning kitchen is that:

my kitchen is small and can't be enlarged without me winning the lottery
this will give me the space I need for all of my food preservation gadgets
food preservation won't get in the way of regular cooking
it will keep the kitchen and house cooler
with the basement's concrete floor and floor drain, cleanup will be a breeze

Back in the old days, before air conditioning, farm houses had a summer kitchen. When I started canning, I used to can at night because the house was slightly cooler (and I was alone at the time so I had to finish work, pick, and then can). Now we have a summer kitchen. It is a separate building (not a room off the house). We have a "dry sink" that we run the hose to, a stove (and oven), freezer, fridge, and counterspace. I keep the canning stuff in the cupboard under the stairs...or in the summer kitchen.

Having an "outside kitchen" keeps a lot of condensation out of the house. Not to mention, we can heat water on the stove out there and do all the canning dishes out there.

If you have the space and the money, I'd go for it. There may be some building code/zoning issues about a "kitchen" in your basement. In some places, that qualifies as an illegal apartment.

I've read about people having two kitchens--one called a spice kitchen where all the "smelly" stuff is cooked, and the regular kitchen. It might get complicated selling if the buyer isn't into cooking!

Good question. I just read that entire thread from last year. IMHO the question of a separate canning kitchen (not asked by last year's originator) depends on how much you do at one time. If you MUST can large amounts (a bushel or two of tomatoes, for instance) it will be pretty much an all day (or two) project and the cool separate space will allow you to work comfortably and not interfere with meals in the regular kitchen. If you can stagger the amounts of produce and do smaller batches, your regular kitchen may be fine. I prefer the smaller batch method, picking or buying enough for 8 qts or 10 pints of tomato sauce and getting it started either early in the morning or evening. Also, I planned my regular kitchen with the prevailing winds in mind, so dawn and twilight are cool times there. Storage of the pressure canner and jars is partly in the kitchen and partly in a loft storage area. I keep the canned produce in a large above counter double cupboard because I like to look at it.

I remember my mother working hard and hot to put up bushels of produce. For me the smaller batch method is more fun and relaxing.

Here is a link to a thread from about a year ago on building a new canning kitchen. Although your situation is a little different, it might be worth reading for some ideas that could work for you.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/designing-a-seasonal-canning-kitchen-62283.html

That's an interesting thread with finally some technical ideas and pictures. The questions asked early on were certainly valid although the originator didn't want to hear them. The amount he was expecting to can was HUGE and I'm wondering if he took any pleasure in producing so much to give away.

Quote from bethzaring: this guy had never canned a jar of tomato sauce in his life

Did he say that? He did seem to be outfitting himself for canning on a commercial scale. Those of us who have done a fair amount of canning might not think those enormous canning kettles were fun to lift and fill and clean. I would really like to see the finished canning kitchen too, and also the hundreds of jars produced.

How do most of you plan the amount you will can? I plan about as much as I will eat plus a few jars to give away. Adjust from year to year. Sometimes I can what's available -- one year a bumper crop of "wild" apricots made a wonderful tart apricot sauce.

I like to have a canning party. Invite some friends and can a whackload of produce and jams. Make it an all day event. Have food prepared ahead of time for lunch and supper and/or make it potluck. We made ketchup and took turns stirring. It gets really long and boring otherwise. I had a pressure canner at the time. A great big Presto, about two feet tall. I don't remember how many quarts, but bigger than my 20 litre stock pot.

I guess he was a real beginner. Gee I hope he did a normal batch before tackling the 41 qt version. The marinara recipe looked ok. My tomato sauce recipe is about like that; I put in whatever is fresh for flavors. I start the sauce in an 8-qt Allclad stainless tri-ply. It cooks down to about 5 qts (or 10 pints) and that's what fits into my pressure canner. In winter I just heat a jar and maybe add olive oil and serve over fresh pasta with parmeson or feta cheese. A really quick meal.

That canning party sounds great. What is the catsup recipe?

Back
Top Bottom