Is it possible to freeze zucchini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unless you are going to use dry ice, I wouldn't. Too much water, and the home methods are too slow, and when you thaw, it turns to mush...just my experience.

I have grated it and frozen it to use in zucchini bread or muffins. Works great. My recipe calls for two cups grated, so I measure out two cups and put it into freezer bags. I don't generally keep it any longer than 6 or 8 months. When you thaw it, just place it in a colander to drain. Easy.

Zucchini is one of the few vegetables that can be frozen even without blanching it first, so you can go either way. Texture does change a little and people have the most success with shredding the zucchini and storing in amounts they plan on using for a particular recipe, such as for bread.

Keep it in vacuum-seal bags against freezer burn and it will last a long time.

I've been freezing shredded zucchini for years with great success. I shred, drain and store in ziplock bags. Usually double-bag.

When I'm ready to use the zucchini and, as someone already said, I drain it. I've discovered that it produces a far superior zucchini bread than freshly-shredded zucchini does. Not sure why. Use it in pancakes, too. Really delicious. You can add it to meatloaf to extend the meat mixture and add moisture. Good way to get children to eat their vegetables without knowing it.

I also "chunk" it for use in soups, etc. Great veggie.

I agree - shred it first and I use our Food Saver and it's wonderful! You can stretch zuc breads out for othe whole year!

I just made zucchini bread from frozen shredded zucchini and hubby said it was better then the last time I made it, which was from fresh shredded. So I'll be freezing all mine from now on.

If you like fried zucchini, you can also slice, season and bread it, spread the slices out on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen, put them in ziplock bags. Do not thaw before frying.

Oooh, thanks Constance! (And everyone). I just froze some shredded, but I think I'll use the next batch and freeze them ready to fry. That's what I will miss in the winter, I'm glad there is a way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom