"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks bilby. is it one of those things where you need to eat a ton to become toxic, or are apricot kernels particularly poisonous?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I grew up being warned not to eat ANY kernels but I checked my facts before posting which poison (it was a very, very long time ago I was told not to eat them!) and there are sites now that advocate the use in cancer prevention but I also see that that theory is challenged. I guess it might be one of those poisons that can have a beneficial side to them if used in small doses but I personally wouldn't want to try and find out!

This is the google search I checked against.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
thanks bilby. is it one of those things where you need to eat a ton to become toxic, or are apricot kernels particularly poisonous?
It's one of those things where MOST people would need to eat a ton of them to get sick/die from them, but some might be instantly affected. Better to not find out the hard way!

I have an interesting recipe for peach ice cream that incorporates the pits. I made it that way once, and the pits tasted like almonds. so next time if I want that flavor, I'll just use almonds!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Cyanide is produced from apricot kernels.
Also cherries, apples, plums, bitter almonds, peaches, and crab apples.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel26 View Post
... It's strawberry season here at the moment and I am wondering if tartaric acid is really necessary or whether it's more for a longer shelf life that it's used. I believe it gives an edge to the taste but is the lack of it going to interfere with the setting?
This information comes from the National Center for Home Preservation, from the page General Infromation on Jams, Jellies, and Marmalades :

"The proper level of acidity is critical to gel formation. If there is too little acid, the gel will never set; if there is too much acid, the gel will lose liquid (weep). For fruits low in acid, add lemon juice or other acid ingredients as directed. Commercial pectin products contain acids which help to ensure gelling."

This page is a must read for any new jam maker, IMHO.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Mme.Chahira

Hello everybody , I am from Egypt ,i love cooking , baking, cheese making and jams making . I am working in Alexandria as a cooking instructor as well as caterer, i enjoy doing this job.I had a bachelor degree in economics and political sciences , but pastry arts are my only passion . i am married and i have two amazing kids, they are my vip clients . I can speak english, french and i am studying japanese for 2 years , but i still have a long way.anyway i hope that disccuss forum helps me as well as enable me to help others >
Old 04-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

dear , i live in egypt if u are looking for tartaric acid i can tell u where to buy it.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel26 View Post
Hello, I live in Egypt (I'm from New Zealand), where ingredients aren't always available so have to substitute. It's strawberry season here at the moment and I am wondering if tartaric acid is really necessary or whether it's more for a longer shelf life that it's used. I believe it gives an edge to the taste but is the lack of it going to interfere with the setting?
When making jellies you need an acid for proper setting of the jelly, but more important is that the acid also changes the pH to discourage growth of bacteria and molds.
Tartaric acid is over kill, try citric acid or bottled lemon juice which has a known pH.
Don't use Cream of tartar, it is not the same as Tartaric acid.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC. FYI, the OP has not been active since April of 2008.