Is tartaric acid necessary in strawberry jam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mel26

Assistant Cook
Hello, I live in Egypt (I'm from New Zealand), where ingredients aren't always available so have to substitute. It's strawberry season here at the moment and I am wondering if tartaric acid is really necessary or whether it's more for a longer shelf life that it's used. I believe it gives an edge to the taste but is the lack of it going to interfere with the setting?

if you use proper jam sugar and everything comes up to the correct temp and the jars are sterile, you don`t need to add Anything to it.

but if you Insist on using an organic acid, then use Citric rather than tartaric.

hmmm...thanks for that. However with only arabic markets where I live and no hope of finding such stuff I wonder if there is any part of another fruit I could use as a substitute, is it the kernals in apricots for example that is used for this purpose in apricot jam?

do NOT use apricot kernels!

try boiling lemon peel, it contains plenty Pectin IIRC.

and Trust me on the Apricot kernels DO NOT use them!

Yeah listen to YT on the kernels ... unless there are a few people that you want to be rid of!! LOL

We ever only used normal white sugar with some lemon juice.

We've never used anything but plain old sugar and lemon juice (add some pectin if you want to make sure it sets firm) and it makes great jam.

If you want to superfine your sugar, just give it a whirl in your food processor with the metal blade for about 30 seconds. :)

thanks bilby. is it one of those things where you need to eat a ton to become toxic, or are apricot kernels particularly poisonous?

I grew up being warned not to eat ANY kernels but I checked my facts before posting which poison (it was a very, very long time ago I was told not to eat them!) and there are sites now that advocate the use in cancer prevention but I also see that that theory is challenged. I guess it might be one of those poisons that can have a beneficial side to them if used in small doses but I personally wouldn't want to try and find out!

This is the google search I checked against.

thanks bilby. is it one of those things where you need to eat a ton to become toxic, or are apricot kernels particularly poisonous?

It's one of those things where MOST people would need to eat a ton of them to get sick/die from them, but some might be instantly affected. Better to not find out the hard way!

I have an interesting recipe for peach ice cream that incorporates the pits. I made it that way once, and the pits tasted like almonds. so next time if I want that flavor, I'll just use almonds! ;)

... It's strawberry season here at the moment and I am wondering if tartaric acid is really necessary or whether it's more for a longer shelf life that it's used. I believe it gives an edge to the taste but is the lack of it going to interfere with the setting?

This information comes from the National Center for Home Preservation, from the page General Infromation on Jams, Jellies, and Marmalades :

"The proper level of acidity is critical to gel formation. If there is too little acid, the gel will never set; if there is too much acid, the gel will lose liquid (weep). For fruits low in acid, add lemon juice or other acid ingredients as directed. Commercial pectin products contain acids which help to ensure gelling."

This page is a must read for any new jam maker, IMHO.

Mme.Chahira

Hello everybody , I am from Egypt ,i love cooking , baking, cheese making and jams making . I am working in Alexandria as a cooking instructor as well as caterer, i enjoy doing this job.I had a bachelor degree in economics and political sciences , but pastry arts are my only passion . i am married and i have two amazing kids, they are my vip clients . I can speak english, french and i am studying japanese for 2 years , but i still have a long way.anyway i hope that disccuss forum helps me as well as enable me to help others >

Last edited:
Hello, I live in Egypt (I'm from New Zealand), where ingredients aren't always available so have to substitute. It's strawberry season here at the moment and I am wondering if tartaric acid is really necessary or whether it's more for a longer shelf life that it's used. I believe it gives an edge to the taste but is the lack of it going to interfere with the setting?
When making jellies you need an acid for proper setting of the jelly, but more important is that the acid also changes the pH to discourage growth of bacteria and molds.
Tartaric acid is over kill, try citric acid or bottled lemon juice which has a known pH.
Don't use Cream of tartar, it is not the same as Tartaric acid.

Welcome to DC. FYI, the OP has not been active since April of 2008.

Back
Top Bottom