Is THAT much vinegar necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elwood2083

Assistant Cook
Hello! I am new here and hope someone can give me some tips! I raise a small garden mostly of peppers (jalapenos, habanero, banana, bell). My husband loves canned jalapenos that we can buy in any grocery store. When we can peppers (using the boiling water method-I have no canner) we have recipes for equal parts vinegar/water. The result is an overpowering vinegar taste when he eats the peppers. I know vinegar cannot be left out completely, but does it have to be in equal amount to the water? FYI I have been using Rice Wine Vinegar because I was told it would provide a milder taste...vinegar is vinegar!

ALSO he likes jalapenos that are canned in sweet pickle juice (oddly enough), and I would like to try that if anyone knows a good recipe. Of course, I may need to successfully can the normal kind first!
THANKS!

Hi elwood, I'm not sure what your recipe is like, but yes, you do need a lot of vinegar. That is to inhibit bacteria growth. You might want to do some searching on the Net to see if you can find a recipe that isn't quite so overpowering, but overall you are going to need a fair amount of vinegar if you are not pressure canning.

Salt, sugar and vinegar protect your canned food from harmful bacteria that can poison you.
I have not seen recipes with lesser amounts of vinegar (than your 50/50 mix) from any reputable source. Canning books and university extensions are good sources of information.
Here is a link explaining some reasons why vinegar is necessary in pickled pepper recipes.
Making Pickled Peppers at Home
I hope that helps. ~Bliss

I know how that vinegar taste can be over powering. Something you can try is when you are ready to eat the peppers you could soak them in plenty of fresh water for a few hours. That will remove some of the vinegar and make them easier to eat.

So, why do store-bought peppers not have that overpowering taste? I know the dangers of bacteria, etc, which is why I came for help! I didn't want to just decide I could change the ratio and be safe! :) Alix, you mentioned "if I am not using pressure canning methods"...if I were to use that method (purchase a pressure canner) then does that change the liquid ratios?

Sparrowgrass beat me to it. You don't need any vinegar if you pressure can. Check out that link. Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses! I am new to the canning procedure, so the tips help! :)

Yeah - check out the site Sparrowgrass posted. It is the best up-to-date authority for home canning.

elwood2083 said:
FYI I have been using Rice Wine Vinegar because I was told it would provide a milder taste...vinegar is vinegar!

Actually - that is not true! Not all vinegars have the same level of acidity (pH). In fact, reliable sources will warn you against substituting one type of vinegar for another unless you know the acidity level. Most recipes call for a 5% acidity level (noted on the label) like regular old white vinegar. Milder vinegars are usually less acidic ... less than 5% ... therefore not safe for a 1:1 substitution.

Last edited:
Even if a recipe calls for rice wine vinegar?
I am looking into a pressure canning purchase at this point!! :)

If a recipe calls for rice wine vinegar then that the the acidity level you need for that particular recipe.

Cut down on vinegar, store the canes in refrigerator, you'll be fine.

I make my own garlic pickles and pickled tomatoes. I do not use hot water, or pressure canner, no vinegar either, but I do have a spear refrigerator in the basement, where I store both of them. I still have tomatoes, pickles are gone unfortunately. Next year will make more. They are perfectly fine even now after almost 8 month.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Instead of vinegar?

I make dill pickles.

I add only garlic, fresh dill, salt, hot habanero peppers, just 1 or 2 instead of whole peppercorn, or if I do not have habanero peppers plain black peppercorns, some celery, couple other things. The recipe is pretty much the same for the tomatoes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom