ISO a canning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moosetoo

Assistant Cook
I canned some tomatoes and okra yesterday. Used quart jars. Jars were hot, tomatoes and okra were hot. Left 1 inch headspace. Made sure all the bubbles were out. When I took them out of the pressure canner and put them on a rack, some of the jars oozed a bit, but they all sealed. Why does this happen?

Hi, Moose. Did you clean the rims of the jars before you placed the lids on them? I always use a damp paper towel to clean the rims to be sure they are free of any liquid/food before I put the lids on and, then, place the rings on. That may be why there was some oozing.

I don't think I'd worry, though, since you say they sealed. I think I'd use the ones that oozed first just as a precaution.

Yep, Katie E., I did that. I checked the jar rims for nicks, used a funnel to fill them, wiped them down then used lids that had been sitting in hot (not boiling) water.

I've had that happen before. I think it's because I didn't leave quite enough head space, or maybe I processed them a little too long.
As Katie said, I'm sure they're fine. Just as a precaution, take off the rings and check to make sure the lids are secure.

" I've had that happen before. I think it's because I didn't leave quite enough head space, "

It happened to me the first time I canned them. If you have a good seal, they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom