ISO A good all purpose brine for making fermented pickles.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
Anyone have an all purpose brine for making fermented pickles? I am not a big fan of vinigar so extra points if it is just salt based. I know I can play with the spices.

OK I am generally using 1 TBSP of pickling salt per cup of water with corriander, green peppercorns, bayleaf, mustard seeds, and lots of garlic.

Dan, 1/4 cup pickling salt
4 cups distilled water is what I use making my pickles. Brine must be BOILING when you pour it over whatever you are pickling and then sealed immediately.

Are you pressure canning? What are you looking to pickle?

Dan, let me get home and i will give you my recipe. If you can wait, btw, I'm going to be Chicago next month.

Dan, 1/4 cup pickling salt
4 cups distilled water is what I use making my pickles. Brine must be BOILING when you pour it over whatever you are pickling and then sealed immediately.

Are you pressure canning? What are you looking to pickle?

Alix I think you may be thinking about quick process (AKA Infused) pickles.

My using boiling brine and sealing you will likely kill the good bacteria used in fermenting.

Alix I think you may be thinking about quick process (AKA Infused) pickles.

My using boiling brine and sealing you will likely kill the good bacteria used in fermenting.

No Dan, I'm not confused. I make these pickles every year. Trust me, they work. I do some as 3 day pickles in the fridge and the rest go on my shelves in jars. My Mom has been making this same recipe since she first got married and her pickles are legendary.

None of us much care for the pickling spice, just the salt and the sour from the fermentation. Mmmmm. OH, and garlic! Silly me.

Sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for, the ratio still might help you figure out what YOU want though. Good luck!

No Dan, I'm not confused. I make these pickles every year. Trust me, they work. I do some as 3 day pickles in the fridge and the rest go on my shelves in jars. My Mom has been making this same recipe since she first got married and her pickles are legendary.

fermented pickles are left out of the fridge in a warm place for 3 or so days, the pickles your making are what he said of the infusion type.
not saying it doesnt work or they arent good, but the process is different

Finally, sorry it took so long.
DILL PICKLES:
Recipe is for 1 gallon jar
1 bunch of dill
Pickling cucumbers to fit in the jar.
1-2 hot pepper (any kind you like)
1 head of garlic,
Black pepper, whole peppercorns about a tea spoon
Capers, also about a tea spoon (I buy them in the small jar in some liquid, not even sure)
3 table spoons Pickling salt
Water.

Preparation. Wash and clean the pickles, you can cut of imperfections, if there are some. Soke it in cold water for 2-3 hours, change the water couple of times to make sure it stays cold. This is to make sure the pickles will stay crispy.
Divide the dill in half. Put one half on the bottom of the clean jar, I mean very clean, right from dishwasher is the best. Start adding the cucumbers and mix in some garlic. Kind of make sure you’ll have it even spread in the end. Sometime in the middle add hot pepper. Filled the jar almost to the top, but not to the top. Cover with the rest of the dill. Add black peppercorns and capers. Dissolve the salt in some worm water, poor it in the jar, now add the plain cold tap water, and fill it all the way to the top. Cover tightly. Take the jar and shake vigorously to make sure salt is dissolved and spread around. Set the jar inside a bowl because during the fermentation process the water will come out and make a mess on your counter, we don’t want that.
Second day. Take the jar out of the bowl wipe the bowl, repeat shaking just in case. Set the jar back.
Third day. Take the jar out of the bowl wipe the bowl. You do not have to shake it any more.
Fourth day. By now it might be that there is no more water in the bowl, which means the initial fermentation has stopped. Some people will eat the pickles at this point, I think they called half sour, well I do not like half ass ;) job so I wait till they completely sour. You’ll have to keep them in the fridge. I usually make this in the summer season, when cucumbers are cheap; I usually make 3 to 5 gallons. I opened my first jar about a month or so ago. They are very crispy, very garlicky, and very spicy. I think I add more hot pepper this year. Will cut back down next year. This is important make notes what exactly you did, so the next time you can correct if something needs to be corrected. Both my parents like the pickled garlic from the pickles, I cannot stand it. Try it.

Back
Top Bottom