"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Tell your extension office that you are doing that and see what they say. Not safe at all.....as is no longer having your gauge checked annually. There is a reason why it is done "annually" even though it was accurate in the past. Things sometimes change with use.
I am sorry to say I don't have access to a home economics agent nor an extensive office. It was closed down many years ago. I used to work there.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I have a gauge canner. It is the all american caner. I got mine on ebay for about $120 with shipping. I first purchased it to use as a home autoclave when doing yeast slants for home brew beer. Now I use it for all sorts of cooking tasks, including canning carp.

I love the All American canners because they do not have a rubber seal that can go bad. The seal is a mechanical seal and is all metal. To me it is well worth the money.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Cook

Thanks all for the responses. It does not look like the Extension office deals with gauges. Still checking up on this though. Where are there other canners without the gauge. Saw the one at Wallmart but it looks a bit small.

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
Head Chef

It would be rare for an Extension not to test gauges or even refer to another locale to do it. Like having a service station that doesn't do service. Hey, I just described those places where now we can only buy expensive gas. Times are changing.

If you have an Ace Hardware store around, check with them. Some of them do testing.

The canner generally sold by Wal-Mart will hold 7 quarts or 9 pints. If you want higher capacity you can buy a Presto with a dial gauge and then buy a "rocker" adapter to convert it.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
Cook

Quote:
If you want higher capacity you can buy a Presto with a dial gauge and then buy a "rocker" adapter to convert it.
Ohhhhh. So you can change the gauge to a rocker! Cool.

Michael Schaap
Michael_Schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I'm missing something here, what is an extension office? A quick googling didn't really give me any clues.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap View Post
Ohhhhh. So you can change the gauge to a rocker! Cool.
Actually you leave the dial gauge on and change that second piece, a pressure regulator with the rocker. The rocker is a 3-piece weight gauge (Part No. 50332) for 5#, 10# and 15#. the 10# is used for pressure canning.

Here is the actual link to get the part which happens to be the first item listed on the page:
Presto Pressure Regulators - Pressure Cooker Outlet
It also shows the model number canners it will fit.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
I'm missing something here, what is an extension office? A quick googling didn't really give me any clues.
They are at your local Universities and are "extensions" that address food safety concerns for those who practice and teach home food preservation and processing methods, often getting their funding from Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Services, U.S. Department of Agriculture (CSREES-USDA), etc.

They have laboratories and equipment specifically for testing food processing issues that cannot be done by the home canner. Some states have better extensions than others and sometimes even their decisions are slightly different. The most authoritative Extension is at the Univ. of Georgia (USA) and has the National Center for Home Food Preservation at its location as is always referenced as the final authority on the subject of food preserving.

You can check to find out if you have an Extension near you. Mine happens to be several hundred miles away because city dwellers aren't that involved in canning to have something closer it seems.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
you will have better luck googling its full name, the Cooperative Extension Service. It is your local branch/access to the US Department of Agriculture. Maybe its most well known program is 4-H

Cooperative extension service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

their funding comes from Congress, and funding varies with each voting session.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
BTW, bacteria spores, especially C. Botulinum, are killed by a sustained maintenance of a temperature over 240F for a specific time, not just reaching a high temperature and gradually allowing it to cool down.
To clarify this for you mcnerd.....what I pressure can at 15 pounds and then turn off the heat, does not even need pressure canned, it could be canned in a boiling water bath. I no longer keep the equipment for boiling water baths any more. In my downsizing efforts, I only kept my two pressure canners. Therefore I can everything in a pressure canner, even items that require a boiling water bath.