ISO advice/info on Pressure Canners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering of your thoughts on something. I am looking for a good pressure canner and in the reviews there appears to be pros and cons of having either a gauge or the jigglier. Which one do you like and why? At first I thought the gauge was best because it is on all the more expensive models...

Michael

I have only used the pressure gauge pressure canners. I pressure can food items at different pressures. Some I can at 11 pounds pressure and some at 15 pounds of pressure. With the gauge, I can tell what pressure I have achieved.

I am feeling disagreeable today. :rolleyes:

I have the jiggler kind, and I like it because you choose the appropriate pressure (5, 10, 15 pounds), turn the heat on, and listen for the rattle. No danger of pressure going too high, no need to keep your eyes on a gauge constantly. (I am assuming that you have to do that--I don't know, because I have never used a gauge.)

Gauges also should be checked every year before you start canning, to be sure they are accurate. We used to do that here in the Extension office, but the tester broke and a new one is beyond our budget.

Unless you live at 2,000 feet or higher you will find the 'jiggler' pressure canner far easier and more practical to use, especially since you don't have to watch it every minute. The rocking motion of the weight maintains the pressure for you.

Dial gauge canners require that your gauge be tested before you use it the first time and annually thereafter. If you are not near a location where testing is possible you have a problem. Not having it tested is very dangerous since the gauge could be as much as 4 lbs off and setting you up for a poisoning.

Pressure canning is done at 10# for rockers, 11# for dial gauges, at sea level and the ONLY time a different pressure is use is for higher altitude adjustments. Nothing is gained by using a higher pressure other than over processing the nutrients out of the foods.

If in doubt go to the source, the National Center for Home Food Preservation

cool. I feel disagreeable mostly every day.:glare::LOL:

anyway, I'm glad I saw this because I am going to start
canning this summer and I have never done it. I was actually
going to post the same question! do you feel that is the best
canner for a beginner? my father used to can when I was a kid
and he had the jiggler cooker. I seriously didn't think there was
a choice - I figured that the jiggler kind wasn't made anymore!
shows how much I know. and what brand/size is the best?

Last edited by a moderator:

quote]

cool. I feel disagreeable mostly every day.:glare::LOL:

anyway, I'm glad I saw this because I am going to start
canning this summer and I have never done it. I was actually
going to post the same question! do you feel that is the best
canner for a beginner? my father used to can when I was a kid
and he had the jiggler cooker. I seriously didn't think there was
a choice - I figured that the jiggler kind wasn't made anymore!
shows how much I know. and what brand/size is the best?

I'd say that would depend on you and your needs.Not all are the same.Some are far more expensive then others.Some are larger/smaller

I've been very happy with my presto 23 qt.It gets the job done without all the hassle.
National Presto Industries, Inc.

The All American CanningUSA.COM Home Canning Supplies Store: your resouce for home canning supplies

See what I mean...?

Munky.

Unless you plan on doing some really serious quantities, the smaller 16-quart Presto pressure canners sold at your local Wal-Mart stores are sufficient and within most budgets (under $70). They will hold up to 7 quart jars at a time or about 9 pint jars.

Walmart.com: Presto 16-Qt. Pressure Canner: Kitchen & Dining

Make sure too that you have the height on your stove for the canner to fit and that has the type of heating elements compatible for canners.

Pressure canning is done at 10# for rockers, 11# for dial gauges, at sea level and the ONLY time a different pressure is use is for higher altitude adjustments. Nothing is gained by using a higher pressure other than over processing the nutrients out of the foods.

If in doubt go to the source, the National Center for Home Food Preservation

Something is gained; time is saved. Something I can I bring up to 15 pounds pressure and then shut off the heat. I could can it at 11 pounds, but that would take more time and fuel.

I used to duly have my pressure lid checked at the extension office; My pressure lid always tested correct.

Something is gained;time is saved. Something I can I bring up to 15 pounds pressure and then shut off the heat. I could can it at 11 pounds, but that would take more time and fuel.
Tell your extension office that you are doing that and see what they say. Not safe at all.....as is no longer having your gauge checked annually. There is a reason why it is done "annually" even though it was accurate in the past. Things sometimes change with use.

BTW, bacteria spores, especially C. Botulinum, are killed by a sustained maintenance of a temperature over 240F for a specific time, not just reaching a high temperature and gradually allowing it to cool down.

Tell your extension office that you are doing that and see what they say. Not safe at all.....as is no longer having your gauge checked annually. There is a reason why it is done "annually" even though it was accurate in the past. Things sometimes change with use.

I am sorry to say I don't have access to a home economics agent nor an extensive office. It was closed down many years ago. I used to work there.

I have a gauge canner. It is the all american caner. I got mine on ebay for about $120 with shipping. I first purchased it to use as a home autoclave when doing yeast slants for home brew beer. Now I use it for all sorts of cooking tasks, including canning carp.

I love the All American canners because they do not have a rubber seal that can go bad. The seal is a mechanical seal and is all metal. To me it is well worth the money.

Thanks all for the responses. It does not look like the Extension office deals with gauges. Still checking up on this though. Where are there other canners without the gauge. Saw the one at Wallmart but it looks a bit small.

It would be rare for an Extension not to test gauges or even refer to another locale to do it. Like having a service station that doesn't do service. Hey, I just described those places where now we can only buy expensive gas. Times are changing.

If you have an Ace Hardware store around, check with them. Some of them do testing.

The canner generally sold by Wal-Mart will hold 7 quarts or 9 pints. If you want higher capacity you can buy a Presto with a dial gauge and then buy a "rocker" adapter to convert it.

Ohhhhh. So you can change the gauge to a rocker! Cool.
Actually you leave the dial gauge on and change that second piece, a pressure regulator with the rocker. The rocker is a 3-piece weight gauge (Part No. 50332) for 5#, 10# and 15#. the 10# is used for pressure canning.

Here is the actual link to get the part which happens to be the first item listed on the page:
Presto Pressure Regulators - Pressure Cooker Outlet
It also shows the model number canners it will fit.

I'm missing something here, what is an extension office? A quick googling didn't really give me any clues.
They are at your local Universities and are "extensions" that address food safety concerns for those who practice and teach home food preservation and processing methods, often getting their funding from Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Services, U.S. Department of Agriculture (CSREES-USDA), etc.

They have laboratories and equipment specifically for testing food processing issues that cannot be done by the home canner. Some states have better extensions than others and sometimes even their decisions are slightly different. The most authoritative Extension is at the Univ. of Georgia (USA) and has the National Center for Home Food Preservation at its location as is always referenced as the final authority on the subject of food preserving.

You can check to find out if you have an Extension near you. Mine happens to be several hundred miles away because city dwellers aren't that involved in canning to have something closer it seems.

BTW, bacteria spores, especially C. Botulinum, are killed by a sustained maintenance of a temperature over 240F for a specific time, not just reaching a high temperature and gradually allowing it to cool down.

To clarify this for you mcnerd.....what I pressure can at 15 pounds and then turn off the heat, does not even need pressure canned, it could be canned in a boiling water bath. I no longer keep the equipment for boiling water baths any more. In my downsizing efforts, I only kept my two pressure canners. Therefore I can everything in a pressure canner, even items that require a boiling water bath.

Back
Top Bottom