ISO advice/tips on buying a Seal-a-Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I am thinking of buying a seal a meal type machine to prepare fruits, veggies and foods for freezing and later to store dehydrated foods. I am working on plans for a food dehydrator now - maybe I will get them all going at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice about what to look for in a machine, or some tricks that you have learned by using one?

If I use this kind of vacuum process for sealing, will foods last longer when frozen? Strawberries supposedly last about 6 months when frozen - how long if they are vacuum packed? I am especially interested in things that are very seasonal here, or things that I can buy at a low price if I but 20 pounds at a time - like blueberries.

How about things like spaghetti sauce? I have tried freezing s. sauce before but have never been please with the results, even if eating it one month later. I have always been able to taste the "freezer" taste. When I make s. sauce I usually put 2 kinds of mushrooms in it, pork or beef, green peppers, carrot, garlic and onion, as well as a variety of spices. How do you freeze s. sauce and not have the freezer taste? Do you leave out the meat and then add the meat after you thaw it out?

Last edited:
You won't regret getting one.Things will last longer and be better when freezing. A leftover steak sealed and warmed in a water bath will just as good as the day it way made.

If you buy meat in bulk and freeze it will pay for itself in no time at all.

I love mine and use it all the time. One trick to remember for things like berries is to freeze them solid first on a baking tray then seal them. Otherwise you can squash them flat.

It is also good for leftovers. I save he micowave meal dished and then seal and freeze leftover in them for a quick lunch or dinner later.

what about putting berries and fruit through a grinder to make them require less room in the freezer? like the meat grinder attachment to my kitchen aid?

I have used a foodsaver pro for a long time,it is the best thing since sliced bread.
Lots of reasons to use it to save on waste, keep coffee beans fresh, confit duck, say goodbye to freezer burn and ice crystals ect, but my fav trick is pressure marination.

What is pressure marination? Do you use bright lights and a rubber stick?

Only in days gone by, I prefer water boarding .I just put the meat and marinade in the bag with some kitchen towel to stop any liquid getting sucked into the machine vac and leave for 30 mins.

LOL!

I love my Seal a Meal. For liquids you can get special canisters and use a hose attachment. It also works for other stuff (food or nonfood) you want to take camping or boating.

Never thought to do pressure marinating, what a great idea!

I've been considering buying one too but wonder just how much I would use it, as I have no counter room to spare and I'm pretty lax about getting bulky equipment out to use it. More thinking to do.

As far as this is concerned:
How about things like spaghetti sauce? I have tried freezing s. sauce before but have never been please with the results, even if eating it one month later. I have always been able to taste the "freezer" taste. When I make s. sauce I usually put 2 kinds of mushrooms in it, pork or beef, green peppers, carrot, garlic and onion, as well as a variety of spices. How do you freeze s. sauce and not have the freezer taste? Do you leave out the meat and then add the meat after you thaw it out?
I use one quart heavy duty freezer bags all the time for my meat spaghetti sauce, and have never experienced "freezer taste". Fold the "zipper" over the bag to form a cuff, and protect it from getting sauce on it, that's very important. Fill the bag with a ladle to the top, and carefully seal so that no air remains. I can't see how you'd really need an expensive contraption to do the same thing.
When I'm freezing meat in freezer bags, I use a very pliable soft plastic bag for the meat, squeeze out all the air and twist it closed. Then I put it in the freezer bag for double protection, and have excellent results.

The device shown at the below referenced url extracts air from a jar which has a dome lid in place.
Amazon.com: FoodSaver T03-0023-01 Wide-Mouth Jar Sealer: Kitchen & Dining

Alternatively, pint jars can be evacuated by placing them, with dome and band in place, into a 2 1/2 quart Tilia round vacuum cannister.
Amazon.com: FoodSaver T02-0052-01 3/4-Quart, 1-1/2-Quart and 2-1/2-Quart Round Canister Set, 3-Pack: Kitchen & Dining

Neato!

I have been reluctant to even consider a food saver. I was under the impression that you had to use special plastic that could only be used once. This sounds far more economical and environmentally friendly.

good points brought up. The devices on Amazon - a little expensive, though reusable, still I wonder how many times the lids or bottles can be used - then compare the $10 or $20 cost to the cost of the same number of plastic bags that can be used. My experience with these kinds of jars (similar to those shown on Amazon) is that i actually spend (lots) more money buying them vs. the cost of using good plastic bags - which are also reusable - because after a few years the seal stops working well.
Do the food sealing machines require special bags? I vaguely recall in the 1980's my friend bought one that would use any plastic bag, even a bread bag.

Have not had much luck with other plastic bags. If care is taken breaking the seal, dome disks can be reused at least a half dozen times; and to this point at least can be purchased at a reasonable price. The glass jars should last a lifetime.

Last edited:
I have a food saver. Bought one of the first one they came out with many years ago. Today I have a newer model of course and I love it. First of all they have a small footprint .. they stand up, they are easier to load and they do remove all the air from your product. In the case of sauces and the like, partially freeze it before sealing. It will taste just as fresh as the day you made it when you are ready to use it. The life of your food items will be greatly extended and in this day and age that is a real plus. Now the bags ... yes they are a bit on the spendy side however ... depending on what you had in the bag they can be re-used. Just wash them out. They come as premade bags or on a roll where you create the size you really need - a much better option for me. I am able to take advantage of great sales at the grocery store by putting the food in the food saver bags and freezing. I am able to take leftovers and freeze them in the bags. They last a really long time and you won't have freezer burn or that yucky freezer taste. Well worth the investment, easy to store and super simple to operate plus you will save tons of money !

Oh and yes ... the ability to vaccuum pack things in jars is pretty cool too.

My husband likes to vac pack his coins so they don't tarnish so yeah .. if it will fit in the bag you can suck the air out of anything LOL

Last edited:
My husband likes to vac pack his coins so they don't tarnish so yeah .. if it will fit in the bag you can suck the air out of anything LOL[/QUOTE]

Gosh...I guess you can say that these machines really suck! :ROFLMAO:

My husband likes to vac pack his coins so they don't tarnish so yeah .. if it will fit in the bag you can suck the air out of anything LOL

Gosh...I guess you can say that these machines really suck! :ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

With the machine that creates the vacuum in bottles...do you have to buy a special lid? or can you use the lid that comes with the bottle?

Back
Top Bottom