"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ISO advice w/bottling tomato juice

Can the 600 ml bottles that water is sold in be used to bottle tomato juice - and other juices?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

If you're just wanting to use the bottle and not worried about preserving for stable shelf life, I'm sure you can. If you want to store it as you would in canning, I doubt it unless you can find bottle caps that will seal like mason jar lids.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Head Chef

I have heard that the throwaway water bottles are not suitable for reuse, and I would be particularly careful about storing acid in them.

A better alternative for me would be wine bottles. There are several types of stoppers available, depending on what type of storage needed. I have a handful of the type of stoppers that used to be used in thermos bottles. Corkers are available, and bottle air pumps and the reusable stoppers would be be a better alternative.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If you're just wanting to use the bottle and not worried about preserving for stable shelf life, I'm sure you can. If you want to store it as you would in canning, I doubt it unless you can find bottle caps that will seal like mason jar lids.
Agreed. I put tomato juice into used other type of fruit juice bottles once I open the can. Never had a bad taste or bad juice from doing that. But I always keep it in the fridge once opened.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks! Now, I just have to find a way to make tomato juice that tastes good. I use my masticating juicer and it always comes out with a bit of a slimy texture - not at all like the canned or bottles juices I have drank.

Tags
juice, tomato