ISO: Canning Kimchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Does anyone can kimchi? If so, once fermented, open water bath like we do the sauerkraut? Or do I have to pressure can it?

Got lots of cabbage left, enough sauerkraut and 8 l of pickled cabbage. I usually make a 2 l jar of kimchi and keep it in the fridge when it has fermented enough.

I ain't sure but I 'spect that a similar canning method for pickled cabbage would work for kinchi.
Any chance y'all would part with your recipe for kimchi?

I ain't sure but I 'spect that a similar canning method for pickled cabbage would work for kinchi.
Any chance y'all would part with your recipe for kimchi?
I basically follow this recipe:

Basic Napa Cabbage Kimchi (Kimchee) Recipe - CHOW

Except I add about 1/4 c of whey (I drain it from yogurt), and skip the dried shrimp. I use either Napa or garden-fresh green cabbage--so much sweeter than what you get at the supermarket. I weigh down the cabbage when it is soaking in the salt-water brine for 48 hours, drain it well, squeeze out the water, and then mix it all up and put it in a 2 l jar, let it sit for 7-10 days before I put it in the fridge. I am running out of fridge space--thought I could can it like I do sauerkraut.You gotta play with how "hot" you want it. I sometimes add srirachi and chili garlic sauce. Depends on my mood. Kimchi is not part of my ethnic cooking background--I'm of Scandinavian descent, but I love this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom