ISO help/advice for canning horseradish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
A buddy of mine found someone that wants to get rid of a big horseradish patch. I love horseradish but have never made any before. I know I have to run it through the grinder outside but then what??
Can I transplant some now in the fall?

canning horseradish

I think so. Horseradish has a very long taproot, make sure you have a good size hole in which to plant it. Also, be prepared, it's hard to get rid of once it's established. My dad made his own horseradish from old roots from his farms. The fumes would choke a mule.

Outside blending is good. Add a bit of vinegar, and jar and freeze or fridge it.

Last edited:
I love horseradish but have never made any before. I know I have to run it through the grinder outside but then what??
The one thing to be aware of with horseradish is that, after grinding, it releases an enzyme that creates the heat. Kind of the plant's own natural defense. The finer that you grind it, the hotter it will get. At some point, you will need to add vinegar to preserve it. However, the vinegar will also stop the enzyme from doing its thing, so don't add it right away.

All of this gives you some control over the heat level. So if you like horseradish fairly hot, grind it and let it sit in the blender or food processor for a half hour or so before adding the vinegar. If you like it mild, aim for about 15 minutes.

Horseradish doesn't keep for a long time, and you can't can it for room temperature storage, since the heat from the canning process destroys the flavor. So just keep the jars in the fridge and try to use within 3 months.

Last edited:
Also it doesn't like fresh air. Looses it's potency. You have to keep it in a closed container otherwise it will be very week.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Thanks everyone. I am going to plant it in an old cattle tank that Ive been using as raised beds. That way it cant get away from me.

My dad does his own, You right Dawgluver, The fumes are unbelievable everyone in the house eyes would tear up. Every time he would start up in the house and then the next thing you see dad out in the back yard with an extension cord running out the window as mom kicked him to the outdoors. When we see him start up we use to tell him you better go outside before mom sees you and he would say oh I only have a little to do, and then we wait, Here comes mom!!! There goes dad!!!!

Unless you use a lot of horseradish or plan to give it away, it might not be worth the trouble to preserve a huge batch. We've been doing some home canning/preserving/curing lately and, with all the research we've done, one thing is agreed upon, there's a definite time limit for homemade products, anywhere from 10 days to a year at most depending on what you are preserving and how you are doing it. Safety and quality will both be defining factors.

I'll never forget the first time we made Worcestershire sauce. I thought we were both going to die from the fumes from the horseradish.

Last edited:
I thought I could can it and make it last longer. I will just do a small batch. Just say for example if I fill a half pint jar how much vinegar is recommended?

Back
Top Bottom