"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO help canning cowboy beans

every year for Christmas I make a ham, then for new years I cook down the bone and make a big pot of cowboy beans, it has alot of ham in it so I guess I pressure can it but I cant figure out for how long. if any one can help with that one it would be great. both quarts and pints, thanks

Old 12-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
Head Chef

Since your Cowboy Beans are already fully cooked, further pressure canning them may turn them to mush, especially too since the mixture must be heated to boiling for filling the jars.

Without knowing the entire recipe I will assume it is similar to the 'Beans-With Pork and Tomato Sauce' in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, Pg 64, which requires pressure canning pints for 60 minutes and quarts for 75 minutes at 10# at sea level altitudes.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

well, decided to make a ham bean soup kinda mess, well see how it comes out. ran it at 15# for 60 min for pints. the beans look intact.

side note. I simmer the the ham bone until the bone is clean, then strain, add 2 lbs pinto beans that soaked overnight and some leftover cut up ham, simmer that down until just before it starts to thicken. then add onion, garlic, celery and crushed maters and salt and pepper. add or subtract based on what I have handy. today was just onion and garlic. its all good. simmer it down till its the right consistancy for you and shazam, Freds cowboy beans. family has been doin it that way for years and my kids are learning the same
Old 12-31-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Azfred that sounds delicious.