ISO help/tips making sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
I've been a little "obsessed" trying to get a batch of sauerkraut to turn out as good as my first one. I've tried just about everything I've read & had to dispose of a lot because it turned dark.

I read that if you will put sauerkraut in the sunlight while fermenting that it will stay almost white. However, everyone else says you must keep it in the dark cool place covered. Before I make another blunder I'm hoping someone could tell me if this is true. Thanks.

I have no idea, have always heard to keep it in the dark.......but I will say that you have inspired me to try sauerkraut this fall. I grow summer and fall cabbages, usually only grow 3 summer cabbages but somehow I have 12 started:wacko:, and will start about 12 for the fall/sauerkraut cabbages:).

#
Sauerkraut turns dark due to -
# unwashed or improperly trimmed cabbage
# not enough juice to completely cover the fermenting cabbage
# salt was not evenly distributed
# sauerkraut was exposed to air
# temperature too high during fermentation, processing, or storage
# Homemade sauerkraut that has been stored too long will turn dark.

I make Korean sauerkraut.. KIMCHEE!
Hope these help.

The only advice i can give is the temp. Im not sure of the exact degrees, but I made it once in the summer and once in the fall. The summer was warmer, it fermented quicker so u really need to keep an eye on it. ( maybe 3 weeks or so). In the fall it took about 6 weeks. I felt i had that batch under control because it wasnt fermenting as quickly. Both tasted good, although the summer ( warmer) batch had that slight ' going bad' taste, where as the fall batch was fresher. Both in dark place ( basement).hope i didnt confuse you. After reading it, i think i confused myself :)larry

Thanks for your replies. I have enjoyed making sauerkraut in the winter because it's easier to keep the temp between 60° & 70°. The only downside is I have to buy the cabbage in winter.

I may try one pint in the sunshine just to see what happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom