ISO help/tips using Fredonia grapes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oneoffour

Senior Cook
Local vinyard has this variety in a bumper crop. They are like an early seed Concord but bigger in size. Are they good for jam? How does one best separate seeds? Leads on or tips in jam making would be a big help.... thanks

Oneoffour....I use a contraption like this one to extract juices/pulp etc. I use it mostly for tomato juice where very few seeds get through. I doubt grapes seeds would either. Buy a package of SureJell or similar fruit pectin. Inside the box are complete instructions for making many kinds of jelly/jam. Hope this helps

Fun & Enjoy!

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the tip and picture of your chinois. I have a manual food mill and found that the tightest screen separates the grape seed form the pulp. Whoo!! the spring on the shaft puts just enough pressure on the seed that some went flying.....old story of sailors and grape shot? LOL anyways 3 1/2 pounds of grapes made 9.5 ball jelly jars of grape jam.

I looked up several grape jam recipes and then went from there. It took time to separate the skins from the pulp. You just pinch and the pulp pops out. Boiled the pulp about five minutes and kept stirring. Then ran it through the food mill. The food mill was on a 8 qt measuring cup.

In a separate pot I used an in pot blender to chop up the skins. Next time it will be a narrower deep pot like an asparagus cooker or a 1.5 qt bain marie so the head of the blender is deeper in skins. Added the chopped skins to the measuring cup and found I had a cup to much of grapes even though the weight was right at the start. Used the packet of sugar free pectin but tweeked due to volume with 1&1/2 cups water and 1 cup sugar. Returned everything to the stove and boiled it about 10 minutes. It got good and thick.

Had a canning funnel and put the jam in the large ball jelly jars. Processed in boiling water in a large stock pot using an improvised grid to keep the jars off the bottom. Had to do it in two batches. Three jars failed to seal. Tried them in the 'canner ' a second time one took the two didn't we are eating immediately from the refigerator. All other jars are firmly set ( the box said it sometimes takes a while).

Sampled some last night and the grape aroma hits like horseradish but all in a grape goodness way then it is still grape jam taste and texture.

Now what do you do with these purple wooden spoons???

Last edited:
Wow...Great Yield!! That manual mill was taking care of business!!
Maybe make apple jelly now and the spoons will come back to natural??? Ha!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom