ISO help w/overabundance of yellow cherry tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmr1

Assistant Cook
I have an abundance of yellow cherry tomatoes (not pear-shape tomatoes) and could sure use some good canning recipes. Help?and thanks!

Unfortunately you won't find too many canning recipes for cherry tomatoes since there is a safety issue of heat not penetrating the skin sufficiently. I doubt you would want to spend the time trying to remove the skins to use in conventional tomato recipes.

That being said, here is an old recipe that pricks the skin of the tomatoes, which does not appear to be tested or approved. Up to you whether you want to try.

Pickled Grape Tomatoes

Yield: 4 pints

4 cups grape tomatoes
1 tsp canning salt
1 cup white wine vinegar, 5%
1 cup Distilled vinegar, 5%
4 cups water
4 cloves garlic, peeled
4 sprigs fresh Rosemary

1. Wash grape tomatoes, drain. Prick tomatoes to help prevent skin from cracking.

2. Combine salt, white wine vinegar and distilled vinegar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil

3. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

4. Pack tomatoes into hot jars, leving 1/4" headspace. Ladle hot liquid over tomatoes, leaving 1/4" headspace.

5. Add 1 clove of garlic and 1 sprig Rosemary to each jar.

6. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2-piece lids. Process 10 minutes in Boiling Water Canner.

Instead of canning, I've had great luck dehydrating cherry toms. Just cut them in half before you put them on the trays.

I freeze mine. Put them whole onto a baking tray and freeze until solid, then package in either freezer bags or vacuum seal them.

I freeze mine. Put them whole onto a baking tray and freeze until solid, then package in either freezer bags or vacuum seal them.
I've done the same (frozen and dehydrated). I've also cut in half, seeded, and packed tightly in a container, and then frozen. Canning--waste of time.

My neighbor has good luck bagging them up and leaving them on the back porch of other neighbors, including me.
:LOL:
I've also heard it's dangerous to leave your car unlocked during prime zucchini season! You might find your car stuffed with zucchini when you wake up in the morning.

They would make pretty tomato preserves. Choose a recipe with citrus and cinnamon. May not sound good, but I ate some that was delicious! I asked for the recipe, but it was a gift to the hostess from a lady she worked with, and I never did get it. There are a lot of recipes on line, though.

Oldvine said:
My neighbor has good luck bagging them up and leaving them on the back porch of other neighbors, including me.

I do the same thing during apple season....

peel, soak in a mix of vodka and worcestershire sauce, then euther serve chilled, or stuff into small jars topped off with more vodka/worcestershire, herbs, and white vinegar.

thanks, all y'all for all the good ideas. Gonna try a few of them, as there's sure enough tomatoes to work with!

dmr1--I saw an episode of Drive Ins Diners and Dives the other day and this restaurant (can't remember where), made a sausage/meatloaf mixture and formed it around cherry tomatoes, then dipped in flour, eggs, crumbs and deep fried it. It looked really good. I hope you find many good uses for those tomatoes, yellow, red or otherwise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom